Select to view content in your preferred language

Contains search in Map Viewer doesn't work

Friday
MappyIan
Occasional Contributor II

I have a hosted feature layer view that contains three layers and three related tables.  I've created a web map from this hosted feature layer and configured the Search options on the web map (settings tab) to do a contains search against the relevant fields of each of the map layers and one of the related tables:

MappyIan_0-1719583563659.png

However, in the map, the search function doesn't seem to work.  The screen grab below shows the Buildings layer turned on and labelled with the 'name' attribute.  There is a building called the 'David Attenborough Building', yet searching for 'david' or 'attenborough' doesn't return any results:

MappyIan_1-1719583787688.png

I get the same behaviour for the other two spatial layers ('Colleges' and 'Porters Lodges').  But the related table does work as expected and shows results from a 'contains' search, as shown below:

MappyIan_2-1719583909873.png

If I change the search settings of the three layers from Contains to Equals then I get better results:

MappyIan_3-1719584026314.png

Now when I search in the map against the 'Building' layer for 'david' it does indeed find the David Attenborough Building:

MappyIan_4-1719584132230.png

Furthermore, I'm able to use the % symbol as a wildcard so searching for '%atten' also finds the David Attenborough Building:

MappyIan_5-1719584164743.png

I'm pretty sure this used to work, so I'm wondering if something got broken in the most recent update to ArcGIS Online this week?  The specific issues seem to be:

1. The Contains search doesn't seem to work at all for layers, but does work for tables;
  2. The Equals search actually performs a Begins with... search.

Am I missing anything or have I misunderstood how this is meant to work in Map Viewer?  The documentation (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/configure-feature-search.htm) is pretty sparse and doesn't say much other than: 'Choose whether the result should contain or be equal to the search terms.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you able to share your map and layers and I can take a look? You can drop them into a group and invite russell_jsapi into it. thanks! 

MappyIan
Occasional Contributor II

Hey @RussRoberts, thanks for getting in touch.  I've shared the map and layers with you, so hopefully you can see the issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you see it working against the original FL instead of the view? I see the fulltext not working as expected on that view layer but just checked against some of mine and they were working. 

0 Kudos