Collector: Updating latitude and longitude using Update Point

01-14-2021 05:54 AM
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

We are a water district in Ohio have about 7,000 water meters that we need to update the latitude and longitude. They were installed around 10 years ago and we used the GPS that we had available at the time. Obviously that doesn't compare to the accuracy that we have access to now and we would like to update the points. I want to retain all the information in each of the meters, except I want to update the location on the map, and the fields latitude and longitude that are being passed from the GNSS receiver.

TravisAnderson_0-1610631147648.png

Using Collector's Update Point seems to be ideal way to make this happen, but I think it only updates the position on the map and does accept new/current lat and long from the receiver when updating the point.

Does anyone know of a convenient way to do this?  Is there something within the layer itself like "allow edits" or something where Collector would allow the receiver to write over the existing lat and long?

Thank you,

Travis

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I would simply update / move the point locations' in the field using the GNSS receiver.  Then go in and calc the lat and lon in Pro afterwards. 

0 Kudos
TravisAndersonPE
New Contributor II

David,

I appreciate the reply. I don't use Pro, but I understand what you are saying. I could probably pull them into Desktop as well, do the same thing and then push them back, but it seems like an unnecessary step. If ESRI makes a button available to update the location of a feature visually on the map, why in the world wouldn't it make sense to update the Lat and Long of that same feature with the same click. Kind of goes against ESRI's mantra of 3 clicks or less.

Thanks again,

Travis

0 Kudos
TravisAndersonPE
New Contributor II

Maybe what  Kylie has suggested here is the key. I'll give it a shot.

I'm trying to paste in her solution below, but I'm having a hard time getting this to post because it has html in it. 

community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-collector-questions/collector-how-to-update-location-when-editing-pointfeature/m-p/359627/highlight/true#M6187

0 Kudos