Change Owner not available for Web Map

Jump to solution
10-24-2019 11:41 AM
BrandonLemire1
New Contributor

We have three Web Maps in ArcGIS Online that will not allow provide us with the Change Owner option.  They are in Content Folders for an account in our Organization.  Items in other folders for that account show the Change Owner option and we are wondering if there is something that might be impacting this ability.  The Web Map is not shared, and other items in other folders under this account can have the Owner Changed.  Even feature services created from the Web Map have Change Owner enabled.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brandon,

If an item is shared to a group with Update capabilities, then it is not possible to change the owner. Un-sharing the Web Map with these groups should enable changing ownership. If the issue still persists, you can choose to "Save As" to create a new Web Map, then assign the copy to the owner that you want. 

Hope this helps,

-Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi Brandon Lemire,

I know it's an old post but in case you are still having this issue check your map's offline settings. It is not possible to transfer the ownership of maps with offline areas. You have to remove them before changing the owner. Also, notice that disabling offline mode alone (without removing offline areas) won't resolve the issue.

Best,

MJ

View solution in original post

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brandon,

If an item is shared to a group with Update capabilities, then it is not possible to change the owner. Un-sharing the Web Map with these groups should enable changing ownership. If the issue still persists, you can choose to "Save As" to create a new Web Map, then assign the copy to the owner that you want. 

Hope this helps,

-Peter

0 Kudos
BrandonLemire1
New Contributor

Hello Peter - The information that you provided is helpful, and I verified that the web map is no longer shared with any group.  None of the associated Feature Services are shared either.  I was able to create a copy and change the ownership, but it is important to our team that the GUID from the original map be retained.  Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Brandon

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the response here - by GUID do you mean the Web Map item ID?

Since these are managed values for keeping track of content, this value cannot be swapped with the old value - I even tested editing the JSON in ArcGIS Online Assistant  and I wasn't able to get the changes to stick after deleting the original map. 

How many web apps look at the Web Map? If it would take a lot of reconfiguration it might be worth it to contact Esri Support to continue troubleshooting changing ownership of the original Web Map. Let me know if you want to go that route and I can help get a case created. 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi Brandon Lemire,

I know it's an old post but in case you are still having this issue check your map's offline settings. It is not possible to transfer the ownership of maps with offline areas. You have to remove them before changing the owner. Also, notice that disabling offline mode alone (without removing offline areas) won't resolve the issue.

Best,

MJ

CharlescobBailey
New Contributor III

Thank you!!!!!

0 Kudos
mcolwin
New Contributor III

Hi all - I know this is an old post, but we're still experiencing this issue. Brandon actually worked in my organization when he originally posted this. The items in question are not shared with a Shared Update group. They are enabled for offline use, but "Manage Offline Areas" is grayed out because it says "you have no offline areas yet". Turning off Offline Use does not fix the issue. Now, I'm not the owner of the item, so is there a chance that the owner, or someone else using the item, has made an offline area, but I cannot see that to manage it? If that's the case, how can I go about moving this content from a user who has left our organization to someone else?

InfodimGIS
New Contributor II

You could try using ArcGIS Python API https://developers.arcgis.com/python/api-reference/arcgis.gis.toc.html#arcgis.gis.Item.reassign_to 

We had a few cases like this and this was the option we used to transfer all the map areas and corresponding packages to a new user. Change Owner option in the Item Page was not there and it still is missing for the new user! But the user did indeed change, we can now access all the offline areas.

An other option we used was to list the map areas and packages and delete them without transferring them to a new owner. Again using the Python API https://developers.arcgis.com/python/api-reference/arcgis.mapping.toc.html#arcgis.mapping.OfflineMap... 

Hope this helps