AGOL View layer symbology is not updated when updating hosted feature layer

09-16-2019 03:15 AM
JamilHazim
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a feature layer called map in AGOL. I want to change the symbology, so I open arcgis Pro and I open this map and overwrite it with new symbols.

I see that the feature layer in AGOL is updated correctly. Only the views of this feature layers aren't updated at all.

Why is this and how can I make sure the views are also updated as well ?

PS: The legend is also not updated of the view layer.

Hosted feature layer (above)

View of hosted feature layer (below)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

One of the whole points of feature view layers is that you can set separate symbology for the same data set. Because of this, data updates in the attribute table will apply to both the hosted layer and the view, but symbology differences are maintained. For this reason, it makes sense that symbology change to the hosted layer would not automatically update the symbology of the view layer. 

You can change the symbology directly in ArcGIS Online, or change it in the same way you did for the hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Pro. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
JamilHazim
New Contributor

So let's say I have a hosted feature layer with 10 views of it. And I want to change the symbols. If I want to see the updated symbols of all of them, I have to open each individual layer in arcgis pro and change the symbols ? 

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

As far as I know, that's the way to do it without using code. (changing the symbology directly in ArcGIS Online under the visualization tab on the item details page, or by pulling the layer into ArcGIS Pro). However, to be able to change the symbology of multiple layers at once, you should be able to do that with python scripting. I found this page that might be able to get you in the right direction:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/18814/changing-symbology-of-multiple-layers-using-arcmap-arc...

Perhaps someone else out there knows more than I do, but hopefully that gives you a start  

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
JamilHazim
New Contributor

Thank you for the link Katherine! It is a nice direction indeed for a possible solution. 

I wish it was easier but we have to do with the tools AGOL has.  

0 Kudos
Gustavo_Souza
New Contributor III

Hello Jamil

Not really trying to give an answer, but asking a question instead. When you said:

so I open arcgis Pro and I open this map and overwrite it with new symbols.

What you mean by that? You export a layer to local, change the symbology, then you overwrite the layer? Im asking because I also struggle with the symbology on AGOL maps. 

0 Kudos