Best Practices for Multiple User Work Flow

Jump to solution
09-13-2019 09:07 AM
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I have set up a web map containing feature service layers in AGOL which is being used in Collector by our land owner assistance biologists. Presently the biologists are creating property boundaries in ArcMap and adding them to our content prior to field work which can occur on the same day and can be one layer at a time depending on work load.  The original idea was to use Collector for tracking but I foresee the editing component with multiple layers added as a potential train wreck. Should I set up a separate map or group with the appropriate privileges for the editing work or should each biologist have their own map in the same group? Our group consists of only our contributors.  In the end, there will be a planning layer, and a completed layer after the work has been done, but many changes can occur in the year or two in between. Appreciate your suggestions!

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kristal Walsh‌,

I think setting up a group for editors would be sufficient here, as they will be editing the same Hosted Feature Layer. Will they be editing offline or with an internet connection? If offline, I would make sure that all the editors sync their edits with the Hosted Feature Layer before any overwrites occur from ArcMap. 

You can disable editing in the Web Map on the planning layer, even if it originates from the same Hosted Feature Service as the layer you would like to edit. 

If you want to restrict the data that editors see, you may want to look into creating a Hosted Feature Layer view

The Collector documentation is also really thorough, and goes into the entire workflow of preparing a layer through Web Map creation and data collection. 

Hope this helps,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kristal Walsh‌,

I think setting up a group for editors would be sufficient here, as they will be editing the same Hosted Feature Layer. Will they be editing offline or with an internet connection? If offline, I would make sure that all the editors sync their edits with the Hosted Feature Layer before any overwrites occur from ArcMap. 

You can disable editing in the Web Map on the planning layer, even if it originates from the same Hosted Feature Service as the layer you would like to edit. 

If you want to restrict the data that editors see, you may want to look into creating a Hosted Feature Layer view

The Collector documentation is also really thorough, and goes into the entire workflow of preparing a layer through Web Map creation and data collection. 

Hope this helps,

Peter

KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Peter. All group members are also editors and therefore I have just one group. They do work offline and know how to download their maps for use in the field. I think sometimes I am not sure which to reference, AGOL documentation or Collector.  I want to make sure that the planning layer can accept new property boundaries that are created but edits within those boundaries occur in a separate layer, so a copy of that layer that is synced for the field in other words. I've got some work to but this information certainly helps.

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning