Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Online Hosted Tables- What are the record limits?

06-28-2023 07:01 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello AGOL Team, 

In the dev documentation https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/services-reference/online/feature-layer.htm only upper limits for points, lines, and polygons are documented:

"For ArcGIS Online hosted services, maxRecordCount has an upper limit of 32000 for points, and an upper limit of 4000 for lines and polygons."

Can someone please tell us what the limit is for AGOL Hosted Tables are? 

Thanks so much, 

Amanda

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you wondering about how many records you could load in the table at a time when viewing the table?  If you are using Map Viewer we page through the results which will load 50 records at a time and is the default in the JSAPI. 

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Russ, 

Thanks for your reply! I'm asking what the record limit is for Hosted AGOL Tables is. Points, Lines, and Polygon max record limits are clearly documented in the link I provided above, but I have been unable to find any documentation around Hosted Tables.  These tables would be used in a variety of different AGOL web apps such as EB or Insights etc. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

maxRecordCount doesn't indicate the maximum number of records in a layer or a table, it's the maximum that can be retrieved in one call to the service.  I've worked with hosted layers and hosted tables with over a million records, you just can't get all those records in one shot.

I could be wrong but I think hosted feature layers and tables are only limited by the 32-bit Object ID, which means slightly over two billion records a piece (keeping in mind that OIDs aren't reusable).

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @MobiusSnake

This is super helpful information, thanks for helping me better understand. So I guess my question changes a bit then:

What is the maximum number of records that can be returned for an AGOL hosted table in a call? 

One example of what we're working on- we're currently using the Experience Builder Chart widget to visualize ~ 20,000 records within an AGOL Hosted Table. This hosted table is expected to grow each year therefore we're trying to learn these limitations before going live with our product.

I'm hoping someone out there that knows this answer or can point me to the Esri documentation where it exists. 

Thanks, 

Amanda Huber

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah, I getcha.  Out of curiosity I took a table in AGOL - which is set to 2000 by default - and tried cranking it up to 10,000, worked no problem.  Tried 32,000, that worked as well.  Anything past 32,000 would just show a max result of 32,000 though, so I think that's your answer.

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

@MobiusSnake , 

Thanks for that info and testing that out. Out of curiosity what client/application were you using to test the limit of 32K records?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

I didn't actually test with any client, I just tried to increase the service's property past 32k and it wouldn't allow me to do so, so it would seem that non-spatial records are treated the same as point features.  I imagine some clients would have their own limits that could be lower, and the Experience Builder Chart widget could be such a case.

I'm not really familiar with the Experience Builder Chart widget, but it may not be subject to the record limit in the strictest sense, depending what you're charting.  The REST API allows clients to generate statistics using the outStatistics parameter, if the client is taking advantage of that then the raw data isn't coming across from the service, only the statistics are, in which case you'll get far fewer rows.  I believe the charting widgets in Dashboards do this, right now I'm looking at network traffic on a dashboard I created with a pie chart, and even though it's displaying data from about 50 records the response only contains five statistics "records", since it's displaying sums of one field from those 50 records grouped by a second field.

0 Kudos