ArcGIS On-line Credit usage

Jump to solution
10-20-2014 05:04 PM
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

All,.

I am looking at the credit usage in ArcGIS On-Line. I have roughly 2.5 gb of features services which are stored in a database. On average these services are consuming 17 credits a day. I currently cannot find out which features are consuming the credits as it aggregates all the usinge to one number. Is there a way I can find out

a) which are my largest consumers of database storage. i.e. largest feature classes

b) which feature services are consuming the most credits

Regards

Gordon

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

I've not tried the tool suggested by Heath, but I suspect it won't tell you what you want to know about specific feature layer storage. This is because all feature layer are stored in a single database, and the database currently doesn't allow us to calculate storage on a per layer basis.

Look for feature layers that have attachments. Picture from a camera can be several megabytes. Thus the storage of these features can add up quickly. If your feature layer was created before July 2014, it will store attachments as blobs in the database. After July, we made a change to AGOL to store attachments as files, so the credit usage is much less, as file storage is much less.

Hope this helps.

Mike

View solution in original post

18 Replies
HeathBrackett1
Occasional Contributor II

Gordon,

Check out this tool which will create a spreadsheet of all of the content in your organization.  You can then sort based on file size.  That would be the easiest way to go. 

But you can also create some custom scripts using the Python modules (PortalPy, agoTools, ArcREST) found on ESRI's ArcGIS Online Admin GitHub site.  I've found scripting using these tools to be very helpful and surprisingly easy to use.

Heath

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Gordon

You get charged 2.4 credits per 10mb of data stored per month, so all of your feature services will be consuming credits to some degree, a credit estimator can be found here:

ArcGIS Online | Credits Estimator

Regards

Anthony

MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

I've not tried the tool suggested by Heath, but I suspect it won't tell you what you want to know about specific feature layer storage. This is because all feature layer are stored in a single database, and the database currently doesn't allow us to calculate storage on a per layer basis.

Look for feature layers that have attachments. Picture from a camera can be several megabytes. Thus the storage of these features can add up quickly. If your feature layer was created before July 2014, it will store attachments as blobs in the database. After July, we made a change to AGOL to store attachments as files, so the credit usage is much less, as file storage is much less.

Hope this helps.

Mike

HeathBrackett1
Occasional Contributor II

Mike, the ArcGIS Online Catalog tool that I first mentioned does collect the file size of each item.  There is a checkbox that you must check to include the file size in the catalog.  Once it runs, you can then download the file to a csv and sort as you like, particularly based on "size".  If you want to see what sort of information can be obtained about each item, check the REST API Help

Also, each user has a "storageusage" amount tied to that user which can be accessed through the REST API.  If you are more familiar with Python than using REST calls, like I am, then the getUsers function in the agoTools that I referenced above (or the get_org_users function in the PortalPy tools) can be used to search all of your users for the biggest data hogs.

Heath

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

***UPDATE*** Oct 2016. The size of a hosted feature layer as listed on the item details page now reflects the current database storage size of the feature layer.

***Original Post***

OK, I've found out a little more about the size parameter on feature layers. The size parameter is a reflection of the size at publish time. Unfortunately, it doesn't get updated as the feature layer is edited. So, as long as you haven't edited your data, it would be a good way to compare different layer sizes...

Thanks,

Mike

GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Thanks Mike,

A lot of our feature services have attachments and pre-date July 2014. We are going to go through and republish these to take advantage of the file storage rather than the database storage.

Regards

Gordon

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, you can export to FGDB and republish.

Mike

0 Kudos
JoshuaFord
New Contributor

I am having a similar problem with data consumption.  AGOL Catalog worked great for identifying the hogs.  However I am unclear as to the type of storage that applies to each item. 

Is there a list of what content "type" in AGOL is charged at each rate: "Feature Service Storage" or "Tile and Data Storage".

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Joshua,

You will only be charged Feature Service Storage for a Hosted Feature Service in your organization. All other data types stored in your content will be charged credits based on the data and tile storage rate.

This documentation goes into further details regarding credit charges.

-Kelly