Arcade popup - return value of ground height (eg "Terrain 3D" layer) from any point layer

08-10-2020 02:17 AM
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to return the value of ground height in the popup of a point layer?  Only the x,y coordinates are known in the point layer (2D) but from this we should be able to get the value from the ESRI "terrain 3D" value?

I would like this to be available in both a Map Viewer and a Scene Viewer

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe Nunn ,

As far as I know this is not possible yet. I have heard that performing a REST call will be possible in the feature. With this you will be able to request the elevation for any point. 

To give you an example of how I assume this will look, see below a URL to query the NED30m global elevation service:

https://elevation.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/NED30m/ImageServer/identify?geometry=%7B%22x%22+%3...

If you look at the page using the HTML format (change last parameter of URL), you will see this:

The resulting json can be used to unpack the value you are interested in (in this case the value "17.2376")

0 Kudos
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Xander - going a step forward is there a way of using a similar REST call in arcade in a popup in AGOL?

I had read that arcade can reference other layers: Pump up Your Pop-ups With Arcade FeatureSets and the Living Atlas 

So imagine you could do something similar using a Terrain raster layer as well?

Thanks

Joe

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi joe.nunn@landuse.co.uk ,

Unfortunately, terrain layer, imagery layer, tiled layers are all not supported at this time. You can use content from the living atlas, but they will have to be feature layers. 

JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Xander - thats a shame there isn't a way to use those yet.  I know if done outside of AGOL it would be an easy task i would think.  Have done something similar in google maps api years ago that returns the elevation at a location.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Joe Nunn ,

I agree that being able to do analysis in Arcade using raster layers would be pretty cool and being able to do REST calls from Arcade will also help a lot to accomplish certain workflows. Could you create an idea for this: https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas (please post back when you do).

I would certainly give my vote to this!

JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor
XanderBakker

Hi joe.nunn@landuse.co.uk ,

Remember to vote your own idea up. I just voted.