API Call Quota Exceeded (10007) Maximum allowed (10000) per minute. Retry in 60 sec.

03-03-2021 08:06 PM
Labels (1)
ThorstenHohenstrater
New Contributor III

Hi,

We just recently experienced an issue with our ArcGIS online portal give us an "API Call Quota Exceeded (10007) Maximum allowed (10000) per minute. Retry in 60 sec. error".

This really slowed down our whole portal to the extent it was unusable, from both an Admin and mapping perspective.

Q1: What can cause this error?

Q2: Is there a way to monitor the API calls thruput?

Currently, there is little information about this particular error and we would like to know more

Thank you in advance

Thorsten

Thorsten Hohenstrater
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
MickHuska_Jr__ALLETE_
New Contributor III

Support communicated to me that the error is a bug that will be addressed in the next release of ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
ThorstenHohenstrater
New Contributor III

Hi Mick,

Not sure about you but we are still getting the error, however this time the Maximum allowed limit drop from 10000 down to 3000.

ThorstenHohenstrater_0-1626823975321.png

Thorsten Hohenstrater
0 Kudos
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

I too am seeing this error on ArcGIS Python API calls that access our ArcGIS Online instance.

<class 'Exception'>: Unable to perform query. Too many requests.
API calls quota exceeded (10002)! maximum allowed (10000) per Minute. Retry after 60 sec.
(Error Code: 429)

I hadn't seen it before today but now have seen it four times.  Retrying after 60 seconds has no effect.

0 Kudos
ThorstenHohenstrater
New Contributor III

Keith, are you still having this challenge?

Thorsten Hohenstrater
0 Kudos
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

I haven't seen this issue since I made this post here.  I've checked my script logs and can't figure out which dataset was giving me this error.  I must have seen it working on Jupyter Notebook project that I integrated into something else after I stopped seeing the error.

0 Kudos
ConradSchaefer__DOIT_
New Contributor III

Just received this for the first time ever.

Making a request for a hosted feature layer, using credentials to access the resource. Waited a bit and the process ran successfully with no changes. Only asked once for the resource in the script, no iterative requesting.

It is 20220616.

@SusanHmel__DOIT_ 

0 Kudos
ThorstenHohenstrater
New Contributor III

I believe the API limit is now 6000 (on the Standard ArcGIS Online Plan). 

Also depending on the query, it cost Requests Units (RU) using between 1 and 3

https://www.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/events/conferences/2020/developer-summit/best-pract...

Page7

as I understand it that would mean the maximum hit rate would be 3K query requests if Attributes and geometry are requested per min as each request would "cost" 2RU.

Thorsten Hohenstrater
0 Kudos
theinzer
New Contributor II

Hi Thorsten...

We are getting this error big time intermittently on an ESRI online site https://services3.arcgis.com/....    

Has there been any resolution to this?  We can't pin it down.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
ThorstenHohenstrater
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

Assuming "Public" access

We too are still experiencing intermittent issues and I don't think there is a solution in place. We are thinking of leaving ArcGIS Online for Public engagement due to the 6000 API limit per minute (was 10K) which is unfortunate. 

Please remember that this API limit is on the whole ArcGIS Online platform, and not on a single REST endpoint.  You could upgratde from a Standard plan to a M tier to increase the storage and API limits. I am disappointed that "Public" data counts to the organization's API limit. Sort of defeats "OpenData" and "Sharing" on the Esri platform.

We have engaged our local Esri distributor but the end answer was we have an API limit.... Even with the CDN enabled etc.

Maybe someone from Esri Inc can comment. 

Thanks 

Thorsten

Thorsten Hohenstrater
0 Kudos
ConradSchaefer__DOIT_
New Contributor III

@ThorstenHohenstrater 

Yes, I believe you are correct. The error message I received was as follows...

Exception: Could not load the dataset: Unable to perform query. Too many requests. API calls quota exceeded (6984)! maximum allowed (6000) per Minute. Retry after 59 sec. (Error Code: 429)

Thanks

0 Kudos