Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow different edit capibilites based on user

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
mikAMD
by
Occasional Contributor III

In my organization, we have a couple of field agents that all have Data Editor role and all are Mobile Worker as user type.

Adding and editing capabilities are set on a specific feature layer for all of them.

I wish that only one of them could be able to delete some entities.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MobiusSnake
MVP

You'll want to use hosted feature layer views for this.

• Create one view with add/update/delete enabled and share it with the user who gets full privileges.
  • Create a second view with only add/update enabled and share it with the other users.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MobiusSnake
MVP

You'll want to use hosted feature layer views for this.

• Create one view with add/update/delete enabled and share it with the user who gets full privileges.
  • Create a second view with only add/update enabled and share it with the other users.
mikAMD
by

Is there any benefit of creating 2 views instead of for example giving add/update/delete rights to the user on the source feature layer and creating a view with add/update for other users?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP

The majority of the time not really (that I'm aware of), but views provide a little more future-proofing.  Let's say down the road you wanted to disable updates to one specific field or disable geometry updates or something like that, using the view leaves that option open for you.  If you give a user access to the source layer and they build maps/apps with it, then you want to change their access in some way and provide them with a view, they have to swap layers out of all their maps/apps/etc., it's a major hassle.

mikAMD
by

Great info.
Thank you!

0 Kudos