AGOL Query Widget not responding

08-31-2018 06:11 AM
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I have a question regarding the Query Widget on ArcGIS Online.  I have two different parcel mapper apps that both have a query window.  The Queries disappeared yesterday from the websites, and whenever I try to access them in the WebApp Builder, they widget is frozen and will not let me do anything except close the widget window.  The Query Widget has traditionally been incredibly slow, but now I cannot access it at all, and my users are screaming bloody murder.

I have 4 queries in my subscription parcel viewer, and 6 in my free viewer, and they took a while to build, so I really, REALLY, don't want to loose them.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

Sounds like you are deploying WAB using AGO.

If this is the case, you can use AGO assistant (https://ago-assistant.esri.com/) to view the json file for your app.

In this json file, you can find the configurations you set for the query widget.

I recommend taking a copy of the json file, and saving it to a notepad document, before you think about doing anything else to it.

You can inspect the config settings for the query widget in the json file to see if anything looks off.

If all the configs look good, it may be possible that the widget became corrupt somehow. 

Try simply removing the widget from the app's ui config side, save the app, re-add the widget (but don't configure it here), save the app, close the app.

Now, the app's json in ago assistant (after refreshing) should not have you query widget configs anymore.

You can use the notepad copy of the original json to replace the part with the query widget configs.

The changes you make to the json should now reflect in the app's ui side.

On the other hand, for those people who are deploying a WAB Dev Ed. app from their own web server:

You will not see the app's json in ago assistant.

You will see it in the app folder's config.json file.

You can do a procedure similar to the one I mentioned above.

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle

Thank you for that reply, it sounds very useful.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what the json file should look like.  We host the app on our own server, but so far, all changes have been made on AGOL.  If I have to download the app to put onto the server, and no changes have been made, why would the Query Widget suddenly become corrupt?

I am very new to the developer side of things, so please bare with me.

0 Kudos
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

Do not be intimidated by the json file.

A json file typically contains data (in this case, configuration settings) in a separate file (like a text document), stored in a server's directory (like your local disk>documents folder, or whatever location you choose to save it in).

A website (in this case, the wab app) is served out to the world wide web with a web server (Apache, IIS, etc).

At some point, the website calls a json file to display the data the json file contains in the website.

In this case, the app's json file will contain the configurations you made in the configurator.

It will not hurt anything to look and become familiar with the json file.

You will see it is easy to work with, because it has the same settings you configured in the app's ui side.

My suggestion was so that you wouldn't have to spend a lot of time configuring the query widget in the ui side, since all the configs are listed in the json already.

I'm not sure what you mean by:

"We host the app on our own server, but so far, all changes have been made on AGOL." 

If you are serving the app from your own web server, you will not be able to configure in agol (as far as I know).

Do you mean that you are hosting the services from ArcGIS Server, but then using your services in an agol web map, then making an agol web mapping application from that web map?

I'm not sure how to answer:

"If I have to download the app to put onto the server, and no changes have been made, why would the Query Widget suddenly become corrupt?"

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle

I am definitely going to familiarize myself with the Json file.  It won't let me copy the 2nd portion of the file, but I will definitely look at it.  I am still learning the lingo, so yes, we are hosting the services from ArcGIS Server, using them in the agol web map, and making an app from that web app.  

The UI has frozen on AGOL - I cannot even add a new query or edit an existing query.  I'm concerned as to why both Query widgets on two separate web apps might have suddenly become "corrupt.'  The only option I have on the UI side is to remove the widget entirely, and that terrifies me as I spent hours building those queries.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to work with ESRI technical support on this issue?  I would be interested in learning how ESRI would go about solving your issue without you losing the work of building those queries.

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle

I ended up working with support on this for a few days.  The gist of it was that the JSON had somehow become corrupt.  We're not sure how, and I just had to re-create the widgets.  

0 Kudos