Select to view content in your preferred language

AGOL Administrator Question

06-07-2024 12:45 PM
epckay
by
New Contributor II

Wondering if I could get an idea of how many AGOL Administrators your organizations have your account?

I am a long time UNIX user/administrator, 40 years, and I think most are familiar with the root user and limited logins that are given Administrator permission.  I would like to maintain that type of structure in our AGOL account.

So we have a user who is unhappy that I have removed them from the Administrator role and I have suggested that we work on building a role with the specific permissions they need and keep the Administrator role to a limited number of staff.

Wondering if some of you long time AGOL users could provide me with an idea of how many Administrator roles you allow in your AGOL organizations and perhaps some best practices for assigning this type of a role?

Thank you,

BK 

Tags (2)
5 Replies
AfdalCahaya
New Contributor II

Hi 

I think you can have as many as administrators in your ArcGIS Online organizational account with appropriate user type (correct me if i am wrong). 

Another way is that you can create CUSTOM ROLE for a user assigning different privileges. This post should be helpful : https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/administration/designing-custom-roles-for-yo... 

0 Kudos
epckay
by
New Contributor II

I understand you can have as many as you want.  But is that a best practice is my question.  Seems risky to me. 

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

This is going to be an organization dependent question. It all depends on the organization's requirements. With that being said, best practice dictates to have as few Administrators as possible. Organization's should follow the principle of least privilege. Only give users the privileges they need and nothing more. If necessary, create a custom role for them that gives them what they need.

Unfortunately, some people aren't happy with the principle of least privilege as you're experiencing now and they just want full access to everything. But I agree with your approach with working with them to create a custom role with only what they need. 

0 Kudos
epckay
by
New Contributor II

Thank you very much! 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

If you have multiple departments using AGOL and some departments use AGOL alot more than other departments, I might recommend at least 1 Admin for the heavy hitting departments besides the department (perhaps IT) that oversees AGOL itself.

0 Kudos