Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding custom symbology with the new map viewer

08-24-2022 06:14 AM
CorryneVincent
New Contributor III

Anyone knows when it will be possible to add custom symbology on the new map viewer?

I know I can still open Map viewer classic to add custom symbology but when I do so on already created maps, it deletes all of my group of layers and I need to recreate them everytime... which take me such a long time. And we cannot go anymore on Map viewer classic on the Visualization panel of the layers... so I need to modify the symbology in each maps I have. Pretty annoying!

Thank you,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Uploading and referencing by URL is planned for an upcoming release. Today you can publish web styles which can contain point, line and polygon custom symbols that you can use in Map Viewer.

To publish check out this blog:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

If you are interested in some of advancements we have made with vector symbols check this out

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/symbol-styler-using-complex-symbols-...

0 Kudos
PaulinaMarczak
New Contributor III

I've run into this multiple times and had multiple AGO users ask how to do this. Here is a guide I made using the AGO Assistant. Always make a backup before changing your JSON file. For your query, please refer to step 12 first - custom symbology using GitHub. Alternatively you can use another image hosting service.

1. In the GUI of a Classic Map Viewer-saved map, identify and save the symbology of the feature layer you’d like to use:

PaulinaMarczak_0-1661368438511.png

1. In the new map viewer GUI, load in the feature layer of interest and use some random symbol from the new map viewer “Government” symbol selection folder on the symbology class of interest, save the map file.
  2. Open both the new map and the classic map JSON files.
  3. CTRL+F the symbology class for the value in question in the classic map JSON file, e.g., “Mule Deer”.
  4. Continue to search until you see some associated URL and ImageData tag for the value:

PaulinaMarczak_1-1661368438519.png

1. Copy only the “URL” and “ImageData” tags.
  2. Search for the same symbology class, e.g., e.g., “Mule Deer”, in the new map viewer file and skip to the result which has classes for the symbol:

PaulinaMarczak_2-1661368438522.png

1. Replace the identical tags in the new map viewer file with the URL and imageData tags and save the JSON file.
  2. Refresh the new map viewer GUI. Your symbol should be updated:
  3. PaulinaMarczak_3-1661368438527.png

Figure 2 Mule Deer has been updated with the Classic Map Viewer symbology  class. Grizzly Bear still has a generic template symbol and will be updated next.

1. That’s it! Your new map will have the symbol replaced with one from the old catalog. You can also use this to replace it with custom public-hosted images.

1. Tip: to replace with non-standard AGO web map images, upload your custom image to a public-facing image URL such as in GitHub, or as a public icon in AGO if you have administrative privileges. Then just copy and paste the URL, without regard to the imageData tag:

PaulinaMarczak_4-1661368438534.png

0 Kudos