Select to view content in your preferred language

Add item from URL works in one org but not in another

Jump to solution
02-08-2024 12:28 PM
SeanOMalley
New Contributor II

I am trying to understand why adding a layer from a URL works in one organization but not in another. The layer/service belongs to the USDA, and best I can tell it is public:

https://rdgdwe.sc.egov.usda.gov/arcgis/rest/services/eConnect/PFSAMap2/MapServer/0

If I try to add this layer to a web map (using Map Viewer) in my primary organization, it works. Steps I am following:

1. Open a web map in AGOL.
  2. Click the plus sign in the left nav and choose Add layer from URL.
  3. Paste the URL into the resulting dialog and accept the default (ArcGIS Server web service).
  4. Click Add to Map.

In the other organization (completely separate AGOL organization/account, paid for on behalf of a client), if I try to follow those same steps, I get an error at step 3 when I paste the URL:

• Service does not exist or is inaccessible.

Is there some org-level setting that I'm not aware of that might be causing this? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SeanOMalley
New Contributor II

Thanks for the pointer to the Origins/CORS info. I checked those settings, and they still were default/wide open. 

This morning, I tried to load the link one more time, and lo and behold the layers worked as expected. I guess maybe this was one of those mysterious AGOL quirks that resolves itself. 😂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I get the same error you mentioned when I tried adding it to a blank map so it appears to me that the service has restrictions (or the USDA server has restrictions on whom can access it).

0 Kudos
SeanOMalley
New Contributor II

That's so odd. It's not like my primary org has any special permissions or status with USDA that would be different from my other org, or from yours. I tried it again just now in my main org using a brand new web map, and the layer loaded just fine. Yet it fails in the other org, and in yours. 

I don't know how server permissions work - is it possible that they changed settings on their end but somehow 'grandfathered' in any connections that had been established before the change happened? Just thinking out loud...

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I'm afraid this is outside my area of expertise as well. I thought I'd give the url a try just to see if it would work for me but nope.

Interesting thing, though- I tried the link via my work computer and it bonked. I tried the link through my personal phone browser and I was able to get to the REST url. I have no idea how to remedy this but perhaps it's related to network security in the workplace.

0 Kudos
SeanOMalley
New Contributor II

Also, I meant to say this in my previous post but hit the 'save' button too soon. Thanks for taking the time to try the URL and post a reply :).

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The service is publicly accessible and I have no issues adding the service to Map Viewer, signed in or out.

Unless there's a typo or temporary outage, it could be tied to CORS.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/error-item-does-not-exist-or-is-inaccessible-000018957

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-security.htm

If you've set up your ArcGIS Online to have restricted origins, it'll automatically exclude other origins, and this could cause issues when working across multiple servers. I don't see it being at their side with working for several AGOL orgs or signed out, so it could be that you've added CORS settings to the org it's impacted by.

You can open up your browser console (F12 in chrome) to hopefully get a more informative error.

0 Kudos
SeanOMalley
New Contributor II

Thanks for the pointer to the Origins/CORS info. I checked those settings, and they still were default/wide open. 

This morning, I tried to load the link one more time, and lo and behold the layers worked as expected. I guess maybe this was one of those mysterious AGOL quirks that resolves itself. 😂

0 Kudos