Show attachments in ArcGIS Online pop-up window

08-12-2014 12:39 PM
EricNeel
New Contributor II

The ability to link attachments (images, docs, etc.) to features in ArcGIS Online is great functionality, but it would be nice if, instead of having attachments open in a new window, they would open inside the pop-up window itself. The new window containing the attachment tends to cover up the map.

54 Comments
VeronicaAnderson2

Asset inventory on large scales is much, much less valuable without this functionality. Doubling the number of clicks someone has to make in order to view a traffic light is a huge obstacle to adoption of Web GIS. Please take this idea!

JoanneLogan1

Dear Kelly,

I can add the text field just fine, but have no idea about how to run the GP tool I unzipped. Do I run it in AGO or Desktop?

VeronicaAnderson2

Hi Joanne!

Run the toolbox that comes in the download from Desktop.

RupaliKiran

I ran the tool on the service that has attachments in desktop. It keeps giving me an error on the line "Has Attachments == true"

any idea?

VeronicaAnderson2

Rupali,

When I had the same error it was because I typed in the field name incorrectly for where the URL was going. Make sure you don't use the alias but the actual name of the field.

JoanneLogan1

Awesome. It works great. This is going to save me a lot of time!

Joanne

RupaliKiran

I am using the actual field name and its a text, 150 field.

still getting this error

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\.........\Attachments to Popup\Attachments To Popup GP.py", line 46, in <module>

if data["hasAttachments"] == 1:

KeyError: 'hasAttachments'

Failed to execute (AttachmentstoPopup).

JakeSkinner

Hi Rupali,

What type of service are you using, ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Online?  If you are using ArcGIS Server service, are you using web tier authentication for your security?

RupaliKiran

hi Jake,

I am using a arcgis online hosted feature service.

-Rupali

SterlingQuinn1

This option should be as simple as a checkbox. I wrote a whole exercise for students to publish services, use Collector, take photos, etc. and expected the images in the popups to just work. I appreciate that a workaround was published above, but by this point it would overwhelm students with more (mysterious) steps. I feel like we got so close to greatness... Thank you for considering this idea.