Improve Symbol Levels in ArcGIS Online

05-13-2016 04:59 PM
ZacharySmith9
New Contributor II

When I set symbol levels in a service and use that service in an AGOL map, the symbol levels are ignored or applied at random. Either create an option for symbol levels in AGOL, or improve the application of symbol levels from services. Currently, I would have to have 4 polygon layers, ordered appropriately, instead of 1 layer with 4 polygons ordered by symbol level.

22 Comments
SimonJackson

Not tested it, but is one workaround to:

• Add an integer field
  • Apply a ranking to it based upon attribute query/calculate field 
    • i.e. Important features = 1; lower priority features = 2
  • Perform a sort on this new field, with higher priority features at the bottom of your table.
  • I think I am right in saying that a hosted feature layer will respect the drawing order based upon ObjectID
    • Will draw features based upon ObjectID field, so final render - features that are drawn last will be on top?
CurtHarvey

Hey Simon - actually my experience is a hosted feature layer does draw based on table order (OID). 

Here's a post/question I added recently after realizing that web maps dont honor drawing order...and the drawing order changes randomly based on zoom scale. So this goes beyon symbol level settings - much more basic darwing problems with web maps.

CurtHarvey

and problems w/my spelling...

CurtHarvey

"actually my experience is a hosted feature layer does draw based on table order (OID)."

I meant to say Does NOT draw on OID.

by Anonymous User

I am running into this same issue. I have a layer, that I would like to be editable in a collector map, that has multiple symbologies. It would be nice to be able to set the draw levels for each symbol. It is a road layer, so it would be nice if you could set interstates and highways to draw at the county level, streets to draw at the city level, so on and so forth. Doesn't seem possible without creating a completely separate layer for each. 

The only workaround would be to create a tile package, as long as you don't need to edit any of that data. 

danashney

At the very least, have drawing order reflect the order in the legend. Lack of this functionality makes half of my layers un-usable as services. Currently, the only way to reproduce my Pro symbology would be to subset each thematic category that each layer has, create services from them all, then order them myself in the web map. That is a tedious amount of work for something so simple in Pro.

GIS_MJ
by

Thanks for the integer field suggestion - I will try that.. but symbology layer drawing seriously needs to be implemented in AGOL. The hosted feature layers are almost useless without it in some circumstances. 

IrinaBeal

Please allow symbology to be copied / imported from either a symbol layer or an existing layer within a map.

KristinKartunen

Please implement this.  We need to control the drawing order of all symbols.  

MappyIan

This has partially been done, certainly for web maps where you can now specify a Feature Display Order (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/set-feature-display-order.htm), which is great and works a treat. But the setting isn't respected in apps created in AppStudio using the exact same Web Map.