Select to view content in your preferred language

Idea: Add what layers/maps apps are using

08-09-2024 08:36 AM
leahmaps
Frequent Contributor

I am trying to clean up items in my AGOL, but it is super hard as I can not tell *exactly* which maps/layers are being consumed and which are not. When you go into a web map, you can see what layers and base maps are being used (pic below) and go to the feature classes there. 

leahmaps_0-1723217487746.png

I would really like to see this implemented on other things.

For example, if I have a feature layer I would like to be able to view the item details page (the usage tab could be a great place for this!) and see which web maps are consuming it.
 An example may be: PointLayer (lets say this is trees). If I go to the usage tab, I can see that this tree layer is being consumed by Map A, Map B and Map C.

This way, you could quickly tell which layers/maps are not being consumed by anything else, especially if they were made in the short term.

I feel like this could also go for web apps, as the 'usage' tab could bring you back to the web map, which brings you back to the layers being referenced.

I know some of this may be able to be avoided with better organization. However, I often find myself remaking layers for different purposes (i.e. a boundary with a fade, a boundary without a fade). Later, if I want to replace those, it is super time consuming to click through EVERY map/app just to figure out what all needs replacing.

Thanks 😊

4 Comments
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
JonathanMcD
CMV_Erik

I think this might already be coming. In the ArcGIS Online Roadmap at this year's UC, there were slides on Dependencies and Item Usage, and a general framework to make it easier to find out how items are related to each other seems to be in progress.  I'm currently using Python to crawl through everything as a workaround, and what they showed look MUCH easier.

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor

@CMV_Erik did you happen to take a picture of the roadmap at UC?