Select to view content in your preferred language

Grouped Sub-Layers in New Map Viewer

07-12-2021 05:59 AM
MatthewMcMillan1
Occasional Contributor

The new Map Viewer now allows layers to be grouped, which is very useful. 

Is it possible to have this feature extended to sub groups like the below?

MatthewMcMillan1_0-1626094726775.png

Thanks!

16 Comments
RussRoberts

Currently we do not create sub group layers but if you publish them from Pro we will honor them and you can drag and drop or move other layers into those sub groups.

MatthewMcMillan1

Russell, 

Thanks for your reply. 

When I publish from Arc GIS Pro Desktop and add the Web Layer to a Web Map on ArcGIS online, it adds the layers to the map individually. 

Is there a method to do this where it honors the layers created?

Thanks

RussRoberts

What version of Pro are you using? 

MatthewMcMillan1

Basic

RussRoberts

I meant what version number 😅

MatthewMcMillan1

Oh 😅

I'm on 2.6 at the moment. I'm updating now to 2.8. Will it work through 2.8?

RussRoberts

Its ok its Monday haha. Pro supported publishing the sub group layers in 2.7 so 2.8 should be good. 

MatthewMcMillan1

Excellent thank you!

Anthony

Subgroups would be useful in my case where I'm not the data publisher, rather my maps are an aggregate of various map services. Having nested groups would greatly improve the usability of my layer list.

MatthewMcMillan1

Hi again @RussRoberts

I updated the version and published a new web layer using the 'Share' >> 'Web Layer' >> 'Publish Web Layer' and imported the feature layer to the New Map Viewer, and it extracted the layers again instead of keeping the groups and sub groups I had. Am I missing something?

I manually created the layers I needed (although no sublayers) and imported the new map in the Web App Builder (Developer Edition) and it extracted the layers again. 

Can you advise?

Thanks again for your help

Matthew