ArcGIS Online Chart Customization

07-27-2012 06:39 AM
DanielBally3
New Contributor II
Hi,

I would like to be able to change the colors of the pie chart sections to match our data's symbology. This would be useful when trying to correspond Dot Density symbology with the chart results. 

0EME0000000TRYa
37 Comments
MantasButrimavičius1

Completely agree. I would also add that there should be a way to customize chart labels. For example, if I want to make a chart for a sawmill, I should be able to specify measurement units (e. g. cubic meters). This is solved quite well in Operations Dashboard there I can write down trailing and leading text.

MantasButrimavičius1

I am very happy that there are more and more color ramps for charts in ArcGIS Online. However, it is still a necessity rather than a simple wish to have the ability to choose all colors by myself. It applies not only to ArcGIS Online but to Operations Dashboard too.

by Anonymous User

Starting with the September 2017 update to ArcGIS Online the infographic widget in Web AppBuilder now has an option to use the layer's symbology. For example when configuring the widget for a pie graph you can now find a check box to the user the layer's symbology under the display tab.

AnninaHirschi_Wyss1

Hi KCullen-esristaff,

This is great, but is there a plan to offer this option also when using "Extra Data Sources" (e.g. the output of the query widget)? I use both (the layer and the query output) to be able to compare fish distribution over the whole lake with the distribution of a specific basin (using the query widget). For now the result is this:

Thanks for consideration,

Annina

BrianHjort_Nielsen

Hi,

Well thats a great feature. I wan't this to work on the charts inside popup windows, alternatively popup panel. Or is there a way of getting the infograph widget to work when i click on a feature, say a roof with solar radiation data to show only when i click on a roof? The infograph shows a sum of all my features in a layer, i wan't it to show based on the attributes of one feature, when i click on it.

Brian

deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o

Kory Kramer‌ any word on this? It looks like its been Under Consideration since 2012.

Ah, thanks Kory! Didn't realize you were focused on Desktop. That article's a good one!

Katie Cullen‌ We're using story maps for election night results reporting (specifically the story map series, where we can have a tabbed layout to show the results for multiple contests in one app). Having a popup show a pie chart with results for an individual precinct was the only thing that would satisfy my elections staff (see reasons below). But as I'm sure you can imagine, colors on an election map are crucial. If we have red show up for Democratic candidates, we will get all sorts of confusion, and look unprofessional. This change, as far as I'm concerned, is the top priority for our organization.

Reasons for the need for a pie chart in the popup:

• Bar charts don't sort the way we would want them to. 
  • Bar charts can get too lengthy when there are 27 candidates for governor.
  • Pie charts de-emphasize candidates with a tiny fraction of the votes.
  • Our primary audience for election night results are elected officials who want to know why they are winning or losing a contest. For this reason, individual precinct results are crucial, and viewing the total votes for all candidates is imperative.

Our experience with other arcgis online solutions:

• Ops dashboard doesn't provide the tabbed interface we're looking for (the tabs are small and at the bottom)
  • Web App Builder has an elections widget, but it also doesn't have that nice tabbed interface. 
    • The widget seems to focus too heavily on the individual precinct. Our users want to start with a general overview of the contest (or multiple contests), then click on key precincts to get the finer details.
    • From what I've seen, the elections widget starts by having you click a precinct or type in an address, then shows you the contests relevant to that individual precinct. If you want to find information about a specific contest, you have to know which precincts cover that contest, or guess until you find one.

Like I said before, this is very important to our GIS program. Elections are one of our highest visibility projects, so we need to be able to make these maps have the right information and colors. I'm happy to talk more to help you understand our need and why the other solutions aren't working for us.  

AnninaHirschi_Wyss1

Hi Andrew Wallick,

Did you try to create multiple dashboards (for each of your different "tabs" or contests and types of charts) and embed them in your tabbed story map? We built such a story map series for a customer. Each tab contained a different type of app (WAB-App, Dashboard, Gallery app, web map...). Unfortunately it's an internal application, so I can not share it, but here's an example where I embedded a single dashboard in a Story Map Cascade (second last chapter): https://arcg.is/amLXn 

I don't know if this could be a (intermediate) solution for you?