Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcade: Decode within GroupBy exression

Jump to solution
Saturday
AlexandHall95
New Contributor

Hopefully someone has some advice, I have a a bit of arcade that I can't seem to get to work. The arcade script runs eternally without returning a result:

return GroupBy(
    filteredFs,
    ['lead_contractor_name'],
    [
        {name: 'failed_count', expression: 'Decode(state, "FAILED", 1, 0)', statistic: 'SUM'},
        {name: 'successful_count', expression: 'Decode(state, "SUCCESSFUL", 1, 0)', statistic: 'SUM'}
    ]
);

I have done some debugging and the filteredFs returns as expected, however when attempting to return the GroupBy output, nothing is returned and no errors are flagged.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

GroupBy is one of those functions that uses SQL. The value of expression has to be a valid SQL expression, not Arcade. Thankfully, Decode is something we can easily replicate in SQL using a CASE statement.

return GroupBy(
    filteredFs,
    [
        {name: 'failed_count', expression: "CASE WHEN state = 'FAILED' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END", statistic: 'SUM'},
        {name: 'successful_count', expression: "CASE WHEN state = 'SUCCESSFUL' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END", statistic: 'SUM'}
    ]
);

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

GroupBy is one of those functions that uses SQL. The value of expression has to be a valid SQL expression, not Arcade. Thankfully, Decode is something we can easily replicate in SQL using a CASE statement.

return GroupBy(
    filteredFs,
    [
        {name: 'failed_count', expression: "CASE WHEN state = 'FAILED' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END", statistic: 'SUM'},
        {name: 'successful_count', expression: "CASE WHEN state = 'SUCCESSFUL' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END", statistic: 'SUM'}
    ]
);

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AlexandHall95
New Contributor

Brilliant, thank you!

0 Kudos