Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to schedule a notebook to run in ArcGIS Pro?

09-24-2023 11:05 PM
AndrewHankinson
Regular Contributor

Hi, I have a notebook that runs a backup of all of my hosted feature layers that I run in ArcGIS Pro and was wondering if it's possible to schedule this to run instead? I've seen that you can schedule notebooks via tasks in AGOL (Scheduled Mode for ArcGIS Notebooks in ArcGIS Online is here! (esri.com). But this uses credits which I'd like to avoid

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How long does your script take to run? AGOL scheduled notebooks are prorated, so if it executes quickly, it really won't use many credits at all.

Scheduling a notebook in Pro is not possible to my knowledge, but you can easily copy all the code cells from your notebook into a standalone Python script, and schedule that through Pro.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AndrewHankinson
Regular Contributor

Hi Josh, 

Thanks for replying, the script only takes about 45 minutes to run. It's not the end of the world having to run it myself I'd just prefer it to run automatically so that backups are taken whilst I'm away. 

If I were to explore the standalone Python script approach would this article still be relevant? Create a Script Tool in ArcGIS Pro from a Python Script - Geospatial Training Services

Thanks, 

Andy

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

According to that article, the standalone script is a key part of that workflow:

Save the new code as a Python script file, so with a .py extension. This file will form the basis for the script tool.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos