Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS API for Python "NotebookDataAccess" module doesn't work in ArcGIS Online

06-08-2022 02:50 PM
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to use the ArcGIS API for Python module to upload, download, and delete files from my ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Notebook environment. This functionality exists and works in Notebooks running in ArcGIS Portal, but does not work with AGOL Notebooks. I have worked with Esri tech support to see if there is some way to get it working, and they told me it definitely doesn't work in AGOL. 

There is a module arcgis.gis.nb.NotebookServer with a “data_access” property. The returns a NotebookDataAccess object which is the gateway to accessing the files in your Notebook, i.e.: what you get with the "Files" button. 

dcafdg_0-1654724458683.png

This would be useful for deploying files and code out to AGOL Notebooks. It might also be useful for downloading output from the Notebook runs, too. This will help better integrate AGOL Notebooks into a hybrid on-premises/cloud infrastructure. 

I haven't dug into this further, but I assume that access to other parts of the arcgis.gis.nb package are also not available on AGOL, and those would be very useful, too. I don't want to spend too much time justifying this, since clearly Esri thought it was important enough to build an API for, but the gist is that it would help for AGOL Notebooks to achieve parity with ArcGIS Portal in this regard. 

2 Comments
Levon_H

This is EXACTLY the scenario we've been struggling with.  This sure would be nice as noted above!!  I'll be following this.  Thanks!!!!

Levon_H