Utility Network Analyst: What am I doing wrong?

07-21-2011 08:33 PM
AlexFriant
New Contributor
I'm using the Utility Network Analyst to perform a simple trace.  When I use the option to return results as a drawing (graphic), the trace performs as expected and I see results.  However, when I change that option to return results as a selection, it doesn't return any results at all.

Is there some basic setting that I'm missing on this particular MXD which is preventing ArcMap from return the results as a selection?  All the layers are set as selectable, I'm in an editing session.  All participating features are "Enabled", the "Ancillary Role" is set correctly (as indicated by the fact that I am getting results with the graphic results option).

It's driving me nuts!

I've tried every logical permutation in the Utility Network Analyst toolbar options.  Can anyone think of a reason why results won't be coming back as a selection set as expected?

Using ArcMap 9.3.1, ArcInfo, Geodatabase contains about 25,000 features altogether.

Thanks for your help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlexFriant
New Contributor
It was a corrupt MXD.

I started a fresh MXD, added the data, and performed the same trace and the selection set results worked as expected.

I've been working with ArcMap for 5 years now, and it still amazes me how fragile the internal workings are.  The bugs always seem to find me!

Anyways, hopefully this simple solution helps out someone in the future!
0 Kudos
GideonDalrymple
New Contributor III
Hi.

I am trying to set up a electric distribution geometric network and having a ton of problems. Are you able to work with me on this? My email is dalrympleg@gmail.com
0 Kudos
MichaelMcManus
New Contributor
Alex,

Thanks for posting that simple solution.  It was just what I needed.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
It was a corrupt MXD.

I started a fresh MXD, added the data, and performed the same trace and the selection set results worked as expected.

I've been working with ArcMap for 5 years now, and it still amazes me how fragile the internal workings are.  The bugs always seem to find me!

Anyways, hopefully this simple solution helps out someone in the future!

I encountered in same problem related to the mxd!

Hi Alex,

I got the message "Couldn't edit the data in the folder or database you selected" (see screenshot please).

i switched the data to a different mxd and all worked fine!

yes you are right: mxd file is very fragile!

On the other hand, Mr. Michael Miller (ESRI) has been helping me a lot in adopting the new tools to work with Utilities.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=14bdfb26bc2f4e0388a633fbd0ccca02

regards

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos