Turn Restrictions

09-19-2012 05:12 AM
ScottBlankenbeckler
Occasional Contributor
We recently recieved the StreetMap Premium (NAVTEQ) Data, and I was looking for a way to limit left turns.  Acording to the comparison matrix chart the version we got should allow us to do turn restrictions but I do not see an option.  Am I overlooking something?

I see restrictions for various drive methods (i.e. Drive an Automobile, Drive a Delivery Truck, Walking) but from the help documentation that appears to just limit what edges the routing software can use in route creation.

What option do I use to limit left turns?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Scott, the Streetmap Premium is shipped in read-only format (SDC), which makes it impossible to add left turn rule (which would require editing the network dataset settings and rebuilding the network dataset).
0 Kudos
ScottBlankenbeckler
Occasional Contributor
Thank you for the useless answer.

I know its an SDC and that they are read only.  If you read my question you would see that according to the comparion chart the dataset we purchased has turn restrictions.  My question is how do I access that ability.  Or am I reading that wrong and what I think of as a turn restriction different than what was provided. If so then this version of the dataset is of no use to my facility and we should buy the cheaper version.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hey, ease up Scott; you might notice that Alexey has been around a while providing a number of useful posts.

No need for the harsh sarcasm; perhaps you should check with the data vendor on how to use the product.

Have a very nice day.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Scott, hm, I guess when you say that you want to restrict the left turn you meant something explained in here?
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Establishing_global_turns/0047000000310000...

So, for instance, if you want to set a penalty (say, all left turns will take 10 seconds) or prohibit doing any left turns, you would need essentially rebuild the network dataset which is not the option with Streetmap Premium. However, you are still able to take advantage of the turn restrictions (Restrictions panel in the dataset properties) - yet those properties define illegal turns rather than specify penalties for turns based on the turn angle.

Sorry if I missed something that you've been asking for!
0 Kudos
ScottBlankenbeckler
Occasional Contributor
Sorry a little stressed today.

So, for instance, if you want to set a penalty (say, all left turns will take 10 seconds) or prohibit doing any left turns, you would need essentially rebuild the network dataset which is not the option with Streetmap Premium.
Which is exactly what I need to do.

So basically what you are saying is if it does not already show up in the restrictions as a parameter I will not be able to do it.

Which means we just wasted a bunch of money getting a dataset that will not meet our needs. 😞
0 Kudos