Network Analyst Directions Localization

12-20-2010 10:04 PM
mehmetbursal_
New Contributor
Hi,
In ArcGIS 9.2- 9.3 systems, we used to localize Network Analyst directions result, by changing directions.cfg and directions.lng files that stays under Network Analyst root folder. But in ArcGIS 10 localization of directions issue seems different. I couldn't find any information (guide, manual, etc,) about how to localize ArcGIS Server 10 Network Analyst directions result. Can anyone help me on this problem?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
hanyhassaballa
New Contributor II
was anybody able to solve this issue? how to change the language of the direction?
0 Kudos
MuraliChoudari
New Contributor III
Anybody able to resolve this issue??
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi muralimohana_c,

You can edit the content of the directions file manually, since those are in plain XML. The file you need to localize is located under %ArcGIS Installation folder%\Desktop10.0\NetworkAnalyst\Directions\resources.xml.

The Supported Languages (codes) are:

Chinese (zh-CN)
    Danish (da-DK)
    Dutch (nl-NL)
    English (en-US) - default language
    French (fr-FR)
    German (de-DE)
    Italian (it-IT)
    Japanese (ja-JP)
    Norwegian (no-NO)
    Portuguese (pt-PT)
    Spanish (es-ES)
    Swedish (sv-SE)

As far as I understand, this is only for managing the non-Latin symbols properly because you don't have to change the "Language ID" tag's value when making edits to the directions tags' text values.

However, this is a pretty big and tedious task - to translate all the text in the tags and make sure it makes sense when routing. So, as Alan from Esri mentioned earlier, it is best to contact a local Esri distributor and if you are on maintenance you should have no problem obtaining a translated directions file which you then could use.
0 Kudos
MuraliChoudari
New Contributor III
Hi muralimohana_c,

You can edit the content of the directions file manually, since those are in plain XML. The file you need to localize is located under %ArcGIS Installation folder%\Desktop10.0\NetworkAnalyst\Directions\resources.xml.

The Supported Languages (codes) are:

Chinese (zh-CN)
    Danish (da-DK)
    Dutch (nl-NL)
    English (en-US) - default language
    French (fr-FR)
    German (de-DE)
    Italian (it-IT)
    Japanese (ja-JP)
    Norwegian (no-NO)
    Portuguese (pt-PT)
    Spanish (es-ES)
    Swedish (sv-SE)

As far as I understand, this is only for managing the non-Latin symbols properly because you don't have to change the "Language ID" tag's value when making edits to the directions tags' text values.

However, this is a pretty big and tedious task - to translate all the text in the tags and make sure it makes sense when routing. So, as Alan from Esri mentioned earlier, it is best to contact a local Esri distributor and if you are on maintenance you should have no problem obtaining a translated directions file which you then could use.

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for your inputs. I've tried to add one more section in Resources.xml for Spanish with the given language code.

When I change my application language to Spanish, trip directions are still in English. This used to work in ArcGIS 9.3 using directions.lng.

Am i missing something here?

Thanks
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Not sure how this is supposed to work.. I've just seen using the localized versions of the directions file instead of the original ones (literally replacing the English one with others) and then of course it worked.

I would either wait to hear ideas from Esri in here or contact Esri Spain.

Good luck!
0 Kudos
MohamedEl_Kerdany
New Contributor
Please follow  below steps :

1- Copy resources.xml from NetworkAnalyst\Directions  and translate it with your language
2- Create a folder named with your language (ex: ar-EG )
3- Paste in it the new translated resources.xml and a copy from the directions.xml
4- Passed the language parameter as you named the folder

That's it 🙂