NA Error

05-21-2012 09:20 AM
ScottBlankenbeckler
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to do a simple VRP (but on a large dataset). I want to build routes from 1 depot to 1 address. However I keep getting this error message:    
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14488[/ATTACH]

It is not very helpful in finding a solution. Can anyone help?

Orders (35403)
Depots (929)
Routes (35403)

Assignment Rule - Preserve Route (each route is named for the FID of the Order it will be carrying both in Orders and Routes)
Restrictions -    One ways
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
The size of the network dataset does not matter.

Do you have 1 address and 1 depot? Or do you have more addresses?

What does the following mean:
Orders (35403)
Depots (929)
Routes (35403)

To trouble shoot, can you get a route (using the Route analysis layer) between yuor 1 address and 1 depot?

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
ScottBlankenbeckler
Occasional Contributor
The size of the network dataset does not matter.

Do you have 1 address and 1 depot? Or do you have more addresses?

What does the following mean:
Orders (35403)
Depots (929)
Routes (35403)

To trouble shoot, can you get a route (using the Route analysis layer) between yuor 1 address and 1 depot?

Jay Sandhu

Each route will be from 1 depot to 1 address and back. I can do this on a one by one using Route analysis but using the VRP seemed the easier way to go since I could load the depots once.  Each depot may be used multiple routes.

As for What does the following mean:
Orders (35403)
Depots (929)
Routes (35403)

These are the number of locations added to each of the layer types (i.e. 35,403 addresses in the Orders layer). I have included this because I am not sure if there is a limit on how many the system can solve at one time.

Similarly, I am not even sure if this is the best way to get the information for which we are looking.
0 Kudos
ScottBlankenbeckler
Occasional Contributor
Now I am getting a new error. I reduced the number of orders I am trying to process (2925 instead of 35403). When the solve gets to the point of improving the solution I am now getting an Out of Memory error. However, during the entire process, if I watch the resources in the task manager window my memory usage never goes over 41%.  So what memory am I using up? Physical Memory? No. Kernal Memory? Some allocated memory specifically for route solve problems?
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Given your description that you want to make route from depot to address and back to depot, you should not use the VRP solver. The VRP solver is meant to solve an optimizing problem where it is not known which depot will serve which order and an optimal allocation of addressess to depots is needed.
You can simply use the route solver but use the ROUTENAME property to load multiple sets of depot/address/depot into the same route layer and solve. In this way you can load in 35403 sets of stops into a single route layer and solve to generate 35403 sets of output routes. You can read more about the routename property here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Route_analysis/004700000045000000/

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
ScottBlankenbeckler
Occasional Contributor
Correct me if I am wrong. But the Make Route function makes a route between all stops with the same Route Name (if supplied). So in order for my problem to work I would need to have a file with both the address and the depot in it with the Route name unique for each pair.

Example
Address, Route Name, type
123 Main St, Route 1, Address
200 1st St, Route 1, Depot
500 Bozo St, Route 2, Address
200 1st St, Route 2, Depot

Wouldn't this make my file 70,806 records? And this would need to be in a single file instead of two.
0 Kudos
ScottBlankenbeckler
Occasional Contributor
Jay,

I think if I better explain the problem you will see what I am trying to accomplish.

We make regular visits to locations to do repairs. Presently the cost to visit these locations is up to the local manager and needs to be standardized.  We need to establish the distance, based on best route, from the servicing depot and the location(s) it services. Pay scales can then be established, with list of location to pay scale distributed to each manager.  This will make it easier to explain the costs to Customer A, who manages Location 1 (serviced by Depot 1) and location 5 (serviced by Depot 19).
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Scott,
As long as you know that you visiting the local locations from a pre-defined shop then the route sequence is always known, that is:
Shop1, Home1, Shop1,Routename1
Shop1, Home2, Shop1,Routename2
Shop2, Home3, Shop2,Routename3
etc

or simpler (assuming travel time is same from work and back to work), the data will look like:
Shop1, Home1,Routename1
Shop1, Home2,Routename2
Shop2, Home3,Routename3

So VRP is not the way to solve this. it is the Route solver as there is no optimization of the sequence of the visits from Shop1.

The route solver Stops sub-class is loaded with right-click Load Locations or the GP tool Add Locations. It can be run multiple times.
So the input locations can come from more than one file. As long as the routename is same for a pair (or three) of stops, they will paired up by the route solver. Yes, you will be loading 70,806 records. But they will make 35403 unique pairs.

So the above file can be loaded twice, first with the "shop" address and routename field and then again with "home" address and routename fields. Loading into an existing stops layer with records does not over-write, rather adds on to what's there.

So your work is in pre-processing your inputs so that they can loaded into the stops layer.

I hope the above makes sense.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos