How load orders to Vehicle Routing Problem in Pro

Jump to solution
11-30-2018 03:05 AM
MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

I have been using the Vehicle Routing Problem within ArcMap but it keeps running out of memory so I want to try it in Pro as it is 64bit and can utilise all of the RAM on my machine.

However, I don't see how you can populate the orders, routes, depots etc tables. In arcmap when you create a new vehicle routing problem, these layers show in the network analyst window with the correct schema and you can right click and load data. This allows you to map fields from an existing feature class to the required fields in orders, depots etc. Is there a way to do this in pro? All I can see is the ability to add a whole table or enter data manually, not load and map existing data.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherMoe
Esri Contributor

Hello,

The hard part in ArcGIS Pro about VRP currently only being available as a GP tool instead of having the nice UI ribbon is that the feature classes and tables all need to have the required schema. I have attached a gdb with an empty feature class/table for all of the VRP sub classes.  With these you can use the Append tool to "load" your data into the correct schema.  I recommend creating a working copy of these so that you preserve the empty versions for future use.  For the Input Dataset point to the feature class that you are wanting to load.  For the Target Dataset point to the empty feature class that you are wanting to load into.  Then change the Schema Type to "Use the Field Map to reconcile schema differences"  This then opens the Field Map options which should look similar to what you are used to in ArcMap.

The Append GP Tool set up to use field mapping for loading Orders

If you have a current Maintenance Subscription, the training team has put together a nice Web Course that gets you started with using the VRP GP Tool in ArcGIS Pro.  They have created some nice tools to convert the schema so that it can be used.  Click here for the course:  Optimizing Routes for Efficient Fleet Management  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
HeatherMoe
Esri Contributor

Hello,

The hard part in ArcGIS Pro about VRP currently only being available as a GP tool instead of having the nice UI ribbon is that the feature classes and tables all need to have the required schema. I have attached a gdb with an empty feature class/table for all of the VRP sub classes.  With these you can use the Append tool to "load" your data into the correct schema.  I recommend creating a working copy of these so that you preserve the empty versions for future use.  For the Input Dataset point to the feature class that you are wanting to load.  For the Target Dataset point to the empty feature class that you are wanting to load into.  Then change the Schema Type to "Use the Field Map to reconcile schema differences"  This then opens the Field Map options which should look similar to what you are used to in ArcMap.

The Append GP Tool set up to use field mapping for loading Orders

If you have a current Maintenance Subscription, the training team has put together a nice Web Course that gets you started with using the VRP GP Tool in ArcGIS Pro.  They have created some nice tools to convert the schema so that it can be used.  Click here for the course:  Optimizing Routes for Efficient Fleet Management  

MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you, that is really helpful

0 Kudos