Network analyst route times

11-21-2018 05:17 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does routing analysis in Network Analyst account for things like traffic lights? 

I understand traffic conditions can be loaded in separately, but will the analysis add some time on for stopping at lights, or does it assume all lights will be green?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You would have to account for them with some sort of impedance.  But....  How do you know if you will hit them red or green?  I messed around a bit with turn imepances, including a 'straight' turn through an intersection; tedious at best.  Perhaps Jay Sandhu‌ or one of the team can weigh in...

That should just about do it....
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, agreed, how would we know what lights we would hit!?  I am thinking of just accounting for it by adding a minute or two to overall timings. 

I wonder if it accounts for acceleration/deceleration times as well?  Or if it just assumes the max possible speed is achieved on the whole route.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You could add some sort of 'universal' impedance for controlled intersections; when I was doing a lot of NA stuff for Emergency Response, the time calculated to traverse a given segment was a function of speed (MPH) and length (Feet).  However, that function just models traverse time as constant; no positive or negative acceleration.  Accurate enough, but not quite precise....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos