Network analyst route times

11-21-2018 05:17 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Does routing analysis in Network Analyst account for things like traffic lights? 

I understand traffic conditions can be loaded in separately, but will the analysis add some time on for stopping at lights, or does it assume all lights will be green?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You would have to account for them with some sort of impedance.  But....  How do you know if you will hit them red or green?  I messed around a bit with turn imepances, including a 'straight' turn through an intersection; tedious at best.  Perhaps Jay Sandhu‌ or one of the team can weigh in...

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Yes, agreed, how would we know what lights we would hit!?  I am thinking of just accounting for it by adding a minute or two to overall timings. 

I wonder if it accounts for acceleration/deceleration times as well?  Or if it just assumes the max possible speed is achieved on the whole route.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could add some sort of 'universal' impedance for controlled intersections; when I was doing a lot of NA stuff for Emergency Response, the time calculated to traverse a given segment was a function of speed (MPH) and length (Feet).  However, that function just models traverse time as constant; no positive or negative acceleration.  Accurate enough, but not quite precise....

0 Kudos