creating pipeline network

04-20-2015 03:18 AM
MarlenaGötza
New Contributor II

I am working on a project where I should connect street segments along public streets (for example for a pipeline for gas or oil). I have an example geodatabase with a feature dataset. The feature dataset includes the streets from open street map (osmstreets) around the street segments and the street segments that should be connected itself. I converted the street segments to points to be able to add them later as locations in the network analyst toolbox.

Then I created a network dataset, a route layer and added my points from the street segments as stops to the layer.

Now I want to connect the points/stops with each other along the public streets from open street map

There I have several problems and questions.

1. When I want to calculate a route with the "solve" tool I always get errors like this although I chose the option "ignore invalid locations":

"Warning: No route from first location "Location 1" to last location "Location 15".
Error: No solution found."

The problem is that the route does not connect if there are junctions between

2. Can I choose a start and end point?

3. Is it possible to calculate routes as a kind of network. As I said I need it for gas or oil networks ans only need the shortest connection between the segments and not a route that connects one point after another like a car would drive? lready tried to build a geometric network but there some points are not included.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarlenaGötza
New Contributor II

fig1.jpg

Picture to Point 1: The 15 Locations and the network

fig2.jpg

To point 3: I want this as result

The files are in my former post "ESRI.rar"

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Network Analyst may not be the optimal tool to use for this solution;  You might want to take a look at Geometric Networks:  ArcGIS Help 10.1

That should just about do it....