Creating Network Dataset in ArcGis Pro. Junction fail to be created with edge.

02-25-2021 03:52 PM
RogerYLearnGIS
New Contributor

Hi, I'm trying to create a simple network dataset in Arcgis Pro. I'm running into an issue. The dataset i'm using has no elevation information and assumed to be a flat polyline network.  When I'm creating the network dataset, I have selected No Elevation. The process will run and will create a Edge for ND, but the Junction attributes has no information, No Junctions were created in the process. I ran a few different scenario but every time no Junction were created. Please let me know if anyone has an answer to this. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi.

Can you provide some more details about your workflow?

• Are you using the Create Network Dataset tool, or are you doing some other procedure? Please describe.
  • When you say "The process will run and will create a Edge for ND, but the Junction attributes has no information, No Junctions were created in the process.", what "process" are you referring to? Do you mean you ran the Build Network tool, and it didn't create any junctions? Or something else?
0 Kudos
RogerYLearnGIS
New Contributor
Hi thanks for helping me with this question. The tool i been using is the
"Create Network Dataset" tool, I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Okay. I think I understand where the confusion is coming from.

The Create Network Dataset tool just creates the network dataset with some default properties and using the data you provide as sources. The network dataset isn't ready to use at this point. You need to update any of the properties (like adding restrictions or configuring Directions or whatever), and then you need to run the Build Network tool. Build Network takes all the input data and all the properties and cooks it all together into a usable network dataset. At this point, it will auto-generate junctions at the points where edges are connected to each other.

0 Kudos
RogerYLearnGIS
New Contributor
I just want to confirm that the "Create Network Dataset Tool' should
produce two outputs correct? one is the Edge and the other Junctions.
My issue is that it doesn't create any junctions at the endpoint of each
line segment or where the line connects or intersects.
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

No, the Create Network Dataset tool creates a network dataset, which is a specific type of object. That is the only output of the Create Network Dataset tool.

The network dataset contains a set of properties you can configure, and internally it tracks edges, junctions, and turns. However, these edges, junctions, and turns are drawn from separate feature classes. You can specify your own junctions if you have them, but if you don't, when you run Build Network, it will automatically generate junctions at locations where the network edges are connected to each other.

0 Kudos
sri_krishnahari
New Contributor II

@MelindaMorang I have a similar issue. I have a 3D network where the edges stemming from different source feature classes are intersecting. They are not split at those intersections yet. Is there a way the network dataset does the split and creates the junctions?. Or is there a way to split the intersecting 3D lines so that navigation can be enabled over the junctions.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Your question is somewhat different than the original question, but that's okay.

In order for edges to connect in a network dataset, the points of intersection must either have an endpoint or a vertex (or, if your Connectivity Policy is "End Point," you must have endpoints and not vertices).  If you have neither, the network will never connect the edges at points of intersection.

Please read the documentation about connectivity in a network: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/understanding-connectivity.htm

The easiest way to create vertices at all points of intersection is to run the Integrate geoprocessing tool using a 0 XY tolerance.  Make sure to use the 0 XY tolerance so none of your features get moved, and you might want to make a backup copy of your data first because this tool does modify the input data in an irreversible way.

The  Integrate tool creates vertices at the points of intersection, so you can use an Any Vertex connectivity policy, and things should work well.