Select to view content in your preferred language

Closest Facility: only have 1000 Incidents but get "The maximum records for Incidents limit of 5000 has been exceeded."

Jump to solution
06-14-2022 08:25 AM
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

As the title says, I am running Closest Facility under the Network Analyst toolset. I have over 9000 institutions but I have broken up my shapefiles so there are only 1000 in each. When I run the analysis with one of my 1000 row features, I still receive this error: "The maximum records for Incidents limit of 5000 has been exceeded.". Does it matter how many facilities I have? The feature I'm currently using for facilities only has 117. I have others that I plan on using which have over 1000. Regardless, why do I keep getting this error when I am using far fewer than the 5000 Institution limit? This is ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
19 Replies
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

After lots of tinkering with the coordinate system, I was able to get everything lined up and the analysis ran successfully! Thank you again! Now I want to merge the results of the length of time it took to get to the closest facility from the institution back to the originally imported layer. Do you know if this is possible?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Great to hear!

For the outputs, the FacilityID and IncidentID fields in the Routes sublayer refers to the ObjectID in the Facilities and Incidents sublayer, so you can use these reliably for joins.  See https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/closest-facility-analysis-layer.htm for a description of all fields in the Closest Facility layer.

The trick is to then have some reliable way to join the Incidents sublayer back to the original input data.  If you mapped a reliably unique field like Name (or it got mapped automatically), you can probably use that to join the results back to your original input.  If not, you may need to run the analysis again, but first making sure to include a joinable field.

One easy way is to map something unique to the Name field using the field mapping control in Add Locations.  Alternatively, you can run the Add Field To Analysis Layer tool to create a new field in the Incidents sublayer and then use field mapping to map your unique ID to that new field.

So, in total, you need two joins:

1. Join Routes back to the Incidents sublayer using Routes.IncidentID and Incidents.ObjectID (or use the Join Field tool to transfer only the field(s) you care about).
  2. Join the Incidents sublayer back to the original input layer using whatever field you have available for doing that join.
0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II
Thank you! I really appreciate your help. Separately, do you know of a resource to purchase road network datasets? Having thousands of facilities/institutions really racks up the credits fast.
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, check out Esri's Streetmap Premium product: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-streetmap-premium/overview

0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

Thanks again for all your help! Quick follow-up. If I purchase the StreetMap Premium network dataset, will I still have a restriction on the number of facilities or incidents (e.g., 5,000) during analyses like I do using ArcGIS online?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

No, there are no input limits when you use a local network dataset on disk.  Input limits are imposed only by services.

(That said, if you have a ludicrous number of inputs, you may at some point run into memory and CPU issues, so you might still need to chunk the problem for that reason.)

0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II
Gotcha. Thanks! I have 20,000 facilities for one of my analyses. I look at service areas for every five minute interval up to 60 min. Would that be too ludicrous?
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

That's probably doable, although you might want to split it up with one cutoff value per solve.  The analysis settings you use impact performance significantly.  For instance, High Precision polygons are much slower to generate than Standard, so it really depends on your analysis needs.

If you get the Mobile Map Package version of Streetmap Premium, you will get better performance than with the file geodatabase version.

0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II
Excellent. Good to know. Thank you!
0 Kudos
SumonMojumder
New Contributor II

Hi All, I  am getting a similar problem while doing Closest Facility Analysis. I got closest facility for 936 incidents out of 3396 incidents.  Below is the description of the problem.  Can you please tell me how to solve?  The original question can be found here: Closest Facility: Only Few (Partial) Incidents ar... - Esri Community

I wanted to find the closest hospitals for each traffic accident. 

In the closes facility window, there are six classes to be specified.  I used hospital locations as Facilities and Traffic accident locations as Incidents. 

I specified Length as impedance, and the direction was "Incident to Facility". I wanted to find the closest facility (hospital) for each incident (crash).

After specifying the parameters, I clicked "solve," The result only showed the closest facility for 936 incidents. But my incident was 3396.  Please note that the tolerance parameter was 5000 meters. 

Can you please tell me what could be the problem? 

I have checked that the incidents attribute table of incidents and found only the status of 75 incidents was unlocated. But after solving the problem, 936 incidents were solved for the closest facility.  Analysis setting .pngClosest Facility Solver.pngError Message.png

0 Kudos