Can I enter a "distance tolerance" when routing in Network Analyst/Navigator

07-19-2020 05:23 PM
AndrewSmith11
New Contributor II

In Network Analyst, and in ESRI Navigator, I want to be able to specify a maximum distance that route will navigate to. So that if a route wont get me to within, say, 20 metres of my destination, using a particular travel mode, it will report this.

Currently it is stopping 1.5km short, stopping on the motorway, because the current travel mode (red/black) wont allow it to get any closer.

I need it to report an error here back to the user, not just end the route where it is.

I would have expected to be able to enter a "tolerance" value here somewhere that limited the "walking" distance at the end of the route to say 20 metres.

Apologies, in advance if this is a no-brainer question, I am very new to the world of ArcGIS

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure if there's a built-in way to do it, but you could generate a buffer from your destination and check to see if your suggested route intersects it.  You could also generate a Service Area for the walking distance and see if it intersects that.

AndrewSmith11
New Contributor II

Thanks David - I'll give the service area idea a go, I'm not sure the buffer approach will work for us, as we need to roll it out to clients' vehicles through ESRI Navigator. Will let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

When you add the stops locations to a route, the stops feature class has information on how they are from the street feature they are snapped to. You can limit the distance a stop searches out for the nearest routeable street in tools like Add Locations. Here is screen shot from a route in ArcGIS Pro and the related field values in the Stops attribute table.

Jay Sandhu

AndrewSmith11
New Contributor II

Wonderful Jay - this is is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if it is possible to do a similar thing in ESRI Navigator on the mobile device? as that is what the end user will be doint.

0 Kudos