Select to view content in your preferred language

Expression builder query is not honored when a collection is created in ArcGIS Monitor 2023.3.1 version.

4 weeks ago
Shawn_NG
New Contributor II

Hello Monitor community, our organization has recently installed ArcGIS Monitor 2023.3.1 and I am currently configuring the same to be in-line with our requirements. I have observed the following problem while creating a custom collection in Monitor 2023.3.1. Following is the workflow used for creating the custom collection.

1. Created the collection using the below query

Shawn_NG_2-1715509120864.png

Issue Observed = When I click on metrics tab for the collection, I am able to view all the default metrics that are assigned for type "Services" and hence do not honor the query I have set in the expression builder that is, show only metrics that have the "Metrics Name == Instances Saturation Percent" for type "Services"

Could anyone please confirm if this is expected behavior or am I hitting some kind of defect?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarS
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hey Shawn!

I would say this is expected behavior because a collection is a group of components and will show all metrics associated with those components. Your query is saying to create a collection of services that have a metric named Instance Saturation Percent. If you are looking to see only the metrics and the data associated with it, maybe you can try an analysis view. 

MarS_0-1715644366071.png

I created an analysis view with a query that shows the Instance Saturation Percent and I joined metrics data to give us some additional data that we can use to filter the data further. From there I created two rules: One to show values greater than 0 and the other to show metrics that was collected after a certain date; you can even do "within the last" to show data that was recently collected. 

MarS_2-1715644723826.png

This shows Services that have an Instance Saturation Percent greater than 0 since May 1,2024. I would the chart as "The Instance Saturation Percent for this service was above 0, 19 times since May 1,2024". From there you can take a further look at the service and do any tuning if needed. 

If you are looking for a table view of the Instance Saturant Percent, I believe ArcGIS Monitor does not have that capability, but I think it would make a great post in the Ideas channel to have a table element. 

I hope this helps!

Shawn_NG
New Contributor II

Hey @MarS , Thank you for your response. I understand that analysis view will help in checking the instance saturation percentage in a dashboard which is helpful (will use it certainly) but my concern is specific to the collection section since the ability of Expression builder is provided there. As you say its an expected behavior what help would expression builder provide when creating a custom collection as per our needs.

The custom collection I am creating is as follows:

Shawn_NG_0-1715849657479.png

The above query is correctly followed by the components section of the custom collection, screenshot below:

Shawn_NG_1-1715849697239.png

But the Metrics section does not follow the query set, screenshot below

Shawn_NG_2-1715849784749.png

Since the service count is 271, expectation is that the metric count should also default to 271 in this case. 

The ask here is that Collection allows customization and hence the ability should work fully rather than specific to certain sections. Thanks for your help!!

0 Kudos
MarS
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hey Shawn! 

Currently, collections are limited to components and will show all metrics associated with those components. From my understanding, you would want to show not only certain components, but certain metrics associated with those components. I do not believe this is possible at the current release of ArcGIS Monitor, but I would urge you to post this as an Idea in the Idea channel. I would love to hear your use case and I am sure there are others out there, who may feel the same. 

Shawn_NG
New Contributor II

@MarS Thanks for your response. I will post the use case in the Ideas channel.

0 Kudos