ArcSOC Optimizer and the RPC server is unavailable error

Jump to solution
10-29-2019 08:45 AM
BenSaunders1
New Contributor III

We are currently running ArcGIS Monitor v10.7.1 and ArcGIS Enterprise v10.7.1. ArcGIS Server is installed on an Ubuntu v16.04 server. In setting up an ArcSOC Optimizer task, the test fails with the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "site-packages\wmi.py", line 1276, in connect File "site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 72, in GetObject File "site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 87, in Moniker pywintypes.com_error: (-2147023174, 'The RPC server is unavailable.', None, None) During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "ArcSOCOptimizer.py", line 11, in main File "Modules\Outputs\ReportBuilder.py", line 15, in __init__ File "Modules\Outputs\OutputBuilder.py", line 11, in __init__ File "Modules\Inputs\InputBuilder.py", line 27, in __init__ File "Modules\Inputs\arcWMI.py", line 9, in __init__ File "Modules\Inputs\arcWMI.py", line 17, in __GetArcSOCStatsMax File "Modules\Inputs\arcWMI.py", line 48, in __GetArcSOCCount File "site-packages\wmi.py", line 1290, in connect File "site-packages\wmi.py", line 241, in handle_com_error wmi.x_wmi: <x_wmi: Unexpected COM Error (-2147023174, 'The RPC server is unavailable.', None, None)> Traceback (most recent call last): File "site-packages\wmi.py", line 1276, in connect File "site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 72, in GetObject File "site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 87, in Moniker pywintypes.com_error: (-2147023174, 'The RPC server is unavailable.', None, None) During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "ArcSOCOptimizer.py", line 11, in main File "Modules\Outputs\ReportBuilder.py", line 15, in __init__ File "Modules\Outputs\OutputBuilder.py", line 11, in __init__ File "Modules\Inputs\InputBuilder.py", line 27, in __init__ File "Modules\Inputs\arcWMI.py", line 9, in __init__ File "Modules\Inputs\arcWMI.py", line 17, in __GetArcSOCStatsMax File "Modules\Inputs\arcWMI.py", line 48, in __GetArcSOCCount File "site-packages\wmi.py", line 1290, in connect File "site-packages\wmi.py", line 241, in handle_com_error wmi.x_wmi: <x_wmi: Unexpected COM Error (-2147023174, 'The RPC server is unavailable.', None, None)>

We have been currently monitoring that server box using a system counter for quite some time without issue. I also slugged my way past (I think) the authentication issues in getting the task built. In any case, the ArcGIS Monitor Credentials used also have sudo/admin privileges on the ArcGIS Server box.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to look at or how to proceed? Thanks for any assistance!

Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

To clarify, at this point, ArcSOC Optimizer supports only Windows.  We'll update our docs.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

Seems WMI permissions are not configured for the ArcGIS Monitor. I had faced the same issue and error message and fixed it by following the instructions as per the link -

Set Windows service permissions—ArcGIS Monitor Administrator | ArcGIS Enterprise  

Configure WMI for nonadministrator accounts—ArcGIS Monitor Administrator | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this will help you.

Good Luck.

Manoj

0 Kudos
BenSaunders1
New Contributor III

Hey Manoj,

Thanks for the reply. I think we may have a wrinkle, however. The documentation (Configure WMI for nonadministrator accounts specifically) talks about adding an account to the Performance Monitor Users group and the Distributed COM Users group on the target machine. Our target machine where ArcGIS Server is running is Linux (Ubuntu) and not Windows. So those instructions do not appear to be applicable in our case - am I interpreting that correctly?

I did verify that we are configured correctly for monitoring a Linux system with the Configure Linux for monitoring instructions (and we have been monitoring that server with a System counter for quite some time).

I'm starting to wonder if there is more of a philosophical question to all this: Does the ArcSOC Optimizer work with ArcGIS Server on a Linux system?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

I never tried on Linux machine configurations for ArcSOC Optimizer. I can direct you to the right person who can help you ... @Frank Pizzi  @ asakowicz-esristaff 

Regards,

Manoj

0 Kudos
ArthurLEDUCQ
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm as well with error "The RPC server is unavailable"with ArcSOC Optimizer.

I use ArcGIS Monitor 10.7 and ArcGIS Server is installed on Centos.
If you have a solution or ideas i'm interest.

Arthur

0 Kudos
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

To clarify, at this point, ArcSOC Optimizer supports only Windows.  We'll update our docs.

BenSaunders1
New Contributor III

Andrew,

Thanks for the info...

0 Kudos
ArthurLEDUCQ
New Contributor II

Thanks.

0 Kudos