Maps SDK 1.3 - Different version of Unreal Engine

Jump to solution
08-16-2023 05:40 PM
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

After creating new Unreal Engine 5.2.1 project and enabling Maps SDK 1.3 the below message is displayed

UnrealEditor_kEwbxnQ1d8.png

If I try building solution via Build, Build, <Project name> the  build process fails with message below.

devenv_i2iS6yQZSx.png

What is the process to get my project off the ground? Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

I prefer to install the plugin in Unreal Engine installation directory with all other plugins so it is available for all my projects. 

In my case it is like below

ZorkoSostaric1_0-1692318202579.png

Once I create the project I just have to enable the plugin and restart the editor. Obviously, in this case it produces the first error about different version of the engine.

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

For sake of testing I have removed Maps SDK plugin from Engine\Plugins directory, created new C++ project. Then I have copied Maps SDK plugin  content to <project>\Plugins directory but no luck, still the same error happens.

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

Hmmm, I managed to get it going but I am not sure what and how it got fixed. Here is what I did as part of the testing

• removed another plugin from Unreal Engine plugins directory (downloaded from Marketplace)
  • created C++ project
  • added Maps SDK plugin
  • re-added plugin from Unreal Engine plugins directory (downloaded from Marketplace) removed in first bullet point
  • created new C++ project
  • added Maps SDK plugin
  • opened project

and Maps SDK is there and available!

I'll have to  test more and repeat to confirm the workflow...

ZorkoSostaric1_0-1692322122661.png

0 Kudos
MasonGaw
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. We don't support engine installation for Unreal Versions 5.1 and 5.2. We do support it for 5.0, but this feature has been removed for new versions of Unreal. 
Please let me know if you have any other issues or questions.
Mason

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

Mason, 

I'll keep testing to see if I can narrow it down to possible cause. 

I do have to correct you about versions of Unreal Engine supported. Maps SDK does support 5.X Unreal Engine as per this page. 

https://developers.arcgis.com/unreal-engine/reference/system-requirements/

Regards

0 Kudos
MasonGaw
New Contributor III

Please allow me to correct wording. The Maps SDK supports Unreal Versions 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2, however to use it you must install the plugin to the project in versions 5.1 and 5.2. We do not support engine installation for versions other than Unreal 5.0. If you wish to install the plugin to the engine and have it accessible across all your projects, you will need to use Unreal 5.0. If you would like top utilize the newer features in Unreal 5.1 or 5.2, you will need to install the plugin per project. 
I hope that clears things up for you.
Mason

ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

Hi Mason,

Thank you for that clarification. It would be good if that's added into documentation somewhere. I prefer to create a project with basic setup (like in tutorials but without actual data) and then make a template out of it. That saves a lot of time.

Regards,

0 Kudos