Select to view content in your preferred language

Not able to add scene from Living Atlas

Jump to solution
09-16-2022 02:47 AM
Stuart-W
New Contributor

I have been following the instructions regarding Scene layers from https://developers.arcgis.com/unity/layers/#scene-layers and trying to add buildings to a basic map created by following https://developers.arcgis.com/unity/maps/tutorials/display-a-map-ui/

I am able to see the base map layer and generally have things working. However I am unable to add the Scene layer from the Living Atlas here:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ca0470dbbddb4db28bad74ed39949e25

by using the URL:

https://basemaps3d.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/OpenStreetMap3D_Buildings_v1/SceneServer

Having added the ArcGISViewStateLoggingComponent to my map I am able to see the following error when loading my Buildings layer:

ArcGISLayerViewState Buildings changed to : Error (IO error.)
Additional info: Error processing service metadata response.
Unable to read Scene Layer metadata.

As far as I can tell it should work, according to https://developers.arcgis.com/unity/layers/#data-layers anything with a serviceVersion or 1.7 and above should work and this layer is 2.0.

Am I missing something here?

Perhaps there is an alternative way to get buildings working outside of the examples of New York and San Francisco but from what I can see the above should be the supported way to do that.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

The new beta OSM 3D baselayers / basemap are currently in beta and are not currently supported in the ArcGIS Maps SDKs (for Unity or Unreal Engine). They're part of a new collection of global OSM 3D services, and that work required some updates to the I3S specification on which they're based. This necessitated a bump in the I3S version from 1.x to 2.0, essentially marking a breaking change, and needs corresponding implementation in the ArcGIS Maps SDKs: support for these new services is on the roadmap for a future release, as the services move from beta to production status which is anticipated in H1 2023.

There are many other city-scale or region-scale services available, or alternatively, depending on what other ArcGIS software products you have you may be able to investigate publishing your own content. 

For more info also see:

Scene layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Publish hosted scene layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Apologies for the confusion, I'll investigate how we can more prominently indicate the support status of these layers.   

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

The new beta OSM 3D baselayers / basemap are currently in beta and are not currently supported in the ArcGIS Maps SDKs (for Unity or Unreal Engine). They're part of a new collection of global OSM 3D services, and that work required some updates to the I3S specification on which they're based. This necessitated a bump in the I3S version from 1.x to 2.0, essentially marking a breaking change, and needs corresponding implementation in the ArcGIS Maps SDKs: support for these new services is on the roadmap for a future release, as the services move from beta to production status which is anticipated in H1 2023.

There are many other city-scale or region-scale services available, or alternatively, depending on what other ArcGIS software products you have you may be able to investigate publishing your own content. 

For more info also see:

Scene layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Publish hosted scene layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Apologies for the confusion, I'll investigate how we can more prominently indicate the support status of these layers.   

Thanks

btit-chris
New Contributor

Hi @MichaelBranscomb - Just checking in to see if you have any update about Unreal Engine support for the new OSM 3D services you mentioned in your post?

We are eagerly waiting the release (or more information). 🙂 

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi @btit-chris 

Support for the new global 3D basemaps is still on the roadmap. We have another release coming up soon, and while that won't include support for those new services, it will include several exciting new features that bring improved integration with the game engines and enhanced support for existing layers and behavior. 

Keep an eye on the ArcGIS Blog to find out about the latest announcements.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Stuart-W
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to ARCGIS generally as this new Unity SDK seems to be the only maps SDK being actively developed for Unity these days. ARCGIS is a steep learning curve in itself though it looks like so I'll have a play around for now with publishing my own layers or scenes or maps or whatever they are called!!

It would be really good to know however what the roadmap for the Unity SDK development is, as support for the latest Living Atlas layers would be highly desirable from what I can tell so far.

Cheers.

0 Kudos