Problem using Change Style option in Maps for Adobe Extension

01-14-2021 05:25 PM
Hovertown
New Contributor

Just getting started using the Maps for Adobe plugin in Illustrator. I have the Plus subscription.

When I search and add layers to my Compilation window, sometimes I want to use Change Style to edit what information I'm going to sync, and how it displays.

Problem: Often  when I click the "Change Style" option, it doesn't respond at all. Without the Change Style options I can't change what type of information I'm looking at from the map layer I've just added, or how it displays. Since it sometimes does respond, and it doesn't seem to vary based on what map layer I've added, it feels like it may just be a glitch.

Is anyone else having this problem, or have a suggestion?

13 Replies
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. Could you please elaborate what you see in the not responding state - do you get the option to choose an attribute for styling with and the available draw style options? Does it work and not work on the same layer? If you experience this frequently on a layer please feel free to share the layer url here, I can give it a try. When you browse to a layer in the Add layer dialog, there is a link to the layers 'Full Description'. Clicking this will open a browser tab - you can copy paste that url here. If you have a screenshot of the not responding state also please feel free to share. Let us know. Thank you. 

Best regards,

Madhura

0 Kudos
Hovertown
New Contributor

Thanks Madhura, yes I can elaborate.
By 'not responding,' I mean that when I go to a layer that I've added to the Compilation window and hover over the triple-dot icon, I can see the drop down of options, and I click on "Change Style," but there is no result. I don't see any error message, and I don't get any options.

To clarify, sometimes the it does work, and I click on Change Style and I can see all of the options to choose an attribute and change how it displays. Then, when I have made the desired changes and close out, I often can't get back in again to make further changes, on either the same layer or any other. If it works at all, it normally only works once or twice before I am no longer able to access Change Style. The problem doesn't appear to apply to other options in the same drop down menu, and I am having this problem with all layers for which Change Style options are supposed to be available. It doesn't seem to be specific to a particular layer or layers.

The only method that seems to help is to save and close down Illustrator, reload and try again, and if this works then Change Style is still only available once or twice as I described above.

Thanks for looking into this. I'm not working with anybody else who is also using the extension, so I hoped to find out if anyone else is having a similar problem, or if there's a workaround that could save some time.

0 Kudos
pradip
by
New Contributor

Confirming what  Hovertown  ‎02-02-2021 01:04 PM has explained. Excited to see the Maps for Adobe plugin in Illustrator/Photoshop.

Long-time ArcMap/AGOL user. I'm 100% sure that what I am doing is correct, my settings are also correct. The "Change Style" option works only one time in a session of Illustrator. "Change Style" seems to be disabled afterward for the same as well as any other layer. Closing the ArcGIS Extension and restarting does not help. Need to close Illustrator and open in a new session to get it to work - that two for one application. 

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi @pradip 

Could you share the layer url that you were using? Also are you using the plus subscription or your ArcGIS Online account - if ArcGIS account - is the license type Creator or GIS Professional?

Thank in advance for your feedback and for your help looking into this. 

Best wishes,

Madhura

0 Kudos
NicholasPerdue
New Contributor

My students are having the same issue. Can only change style once on layers brought in from living atlas, the program is non responsive when trying change styles or work on another layer. Only an issue of PCs

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi @NicholasPerdue 

Thanks for your feedback here. We are looking for some more details to help look into this better - Example, what layer from Living Atlas is used, mapboard scale, size? IDo you students follow a lab assignment when they see this? Is this lab sharable with us or some screenshots of the setup we can try to replicate with that? We are very interested in finding a consistent reproducible case for this. Please let us know. Thank you in advance for your help. 

0 Kudos
NickKenczkaUSU
New Contributor

Was this ever resolved?  I'm having the exact same issue and am trying to use some of these trainings for a college course.  

0 Kudos
LuciaRodriguezzz6
New Contributor

I am having the exact same problem as Hovertown

0 Kudos
LuciaRodriguezzz6
New Contributor

LuciaRodriguezzz6_1-1668124471051.png

I click to change the style and nothing happens. It only works if I close illustrator and do it again but for only one layer and only once.

Pleaseee help!!!!

0 Kudos