Select to view content in your preferred language

Symbol only overall border of multiple polygon features

5 hours ago
Labels (2)
EDUARDOARDILARINCON
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to apply symbology to a feture class, inside of tha feature class there are multiple polygons that correspond to one same group, when I apply simbology to the layer it looks like this:

EDUARDOARDILARINCON_0-1721834502027.png

However what I'm looking for is this:

EDUARDOARDILARINCON_1-1721834541170.png

I've done that through the merge tool, but I was wondering if is there any way to get the same result without modifying the original features (or creating another feature class)?
Like creating the simbology only for the outer line of the entire group of polygons.

Thanks a lot!

Eduardo

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There's not a "nice" way to do it, but here's a hacky approach:

Starting with some contiguous polygons:

jcarlson_2-1721836440449.png

Duplicate the layer, then on the original, set it's masking source to the duplicate.

jcarlson_4-1721836750931.png

Note, though, that you're only going to get the bits of your symbology that fall outside of the features, so your stroke / marker lines are going to get clipped in half.

It's a shame, because QGIS has had "merged polygons" as a symbol style for ages, and it's such a useful thing to avoid throwaway merge layers.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If your data is in an enterprise geodatabase, you could also use spatial SQL like ST_UNION(geometry) with a groupby statement to get your polygons to all behave as though they are merged, without modifying the original source data.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos