Copying Features to another layer; only one target is available, why?

05-04-2017 12:53 PM
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

Trying to copy selected features from one layer and paste into another layer.  When doing this, i follow the proper steps: 1. go in edit mode of item trying to copy. 2. select features i wish to copy. 3. click the copy button. 4. click the paste button.  At this point the only layer i am able to copy to is the same layer that i'm in.  I have many more layers available with my map, why am i unable to select a different layer.  My coordinate zones match and there is no errors occurring.  see attached...

trying to add some data that i exported as a .shp from Civil 3d and add it to my water main layer in arc-map.  this is the only layer that is available and that is the layer i brought it in on from civil 3d, i need to copy to my Water Mains layer.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Arcmap 10.3

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

SQL not sure about the versioned feature class...

Yes i am able to edit in the feature class

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Can you do a small test, I would request you to convert the shapefile into a feature class by using the Feature Class to Feature Class tool and then try using the load data option.

The Feature Class to Feature Class tool is located under ArcToolbox > Conversion Tools > To Geodatabase.

I simply want to be sure that the issue isn't with the software installation.

Regards,

~Shan 

~Shan
0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

What version of ArcMap are you using basic, Standard, or Advanced?

0 Kudos
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

Advanced

0 Kudos
NinaRihn

You say in your question that you start editing the feature you want to copy.    You actually need to be editing on the feature class you want to copy INTO....      the layers with the same feature type (e.g. line) that are in the same workspace as the TO feature class will show up as layers you can paste into.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Use 'Paste special' to paste the copied features into a different layer:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/editing/copy-and-paste-using-the-clipboard.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_...

AbdullahAnter

What layers will show up when I paste copied features ?

1- the layers that have same path (same folder for shapefile / same geodatabase for features class)

2-the layers that have same geometry type of copied features (point / line / polygon).

3-the layers that checked on in TOC .

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

The proper procedure is wrong in step 1.  You should start an edit session on the target feature class, not on the source shapefile.

You can select features from any workspace as the set of features to copy with the copy button, but you can only paste to shapefiles/feature classes in the workspace/geodatabase target that you have started editing.

In addition, both the source and target shapefile(s)/feature class(es) must be checked/visible in the Table of Contents and both layers' features must be selectable.  Also, if the target feature class is in sde you must have edit privileges for that layer granted by the sde administrator, and you need to know whether the sde feature class is versioned or unversioned and match that setting in the Editor options before you start editing.  You should also avoid placing a definition query on the target feature class.

Other requirements include that you should only have selected features from one shapefile/feature class which has the same geometry type as the target shapefile/feature class.