Select to view content in your preferred language

Why are vertices offset in 2d MapView and 3d SceneView?

06-27-2017 03:06 PM
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

It appears that the features rendered in the WebView and MapView have a higher max allowable offset than the same features rendered in a web map in AGOL.  The 90 degree angles look good in the 2d api, but when they are drawn in 3d, they turn into non-90 degree angles.

My guess is that the 3D api enforces a higher max-allowable offset which is making the data quality poor.  I am going to try to manually adjust this setting on each layer in the scene, but I am wondering whether this is the correct approach.

Has anyone else run into this issue with shapes being modified in 3d at large scale?

The first image shows the polygons in a web map in AGOL

web map in AGOL

The second image show the same web map rendered in an Map View on my test connect web server.  As you can tell, there is a major issue happening somewhere

MapView of webmap

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ThomasSolow
Regular Contributor

I think you should be fine using other spatial references than web mercator.  If this issue shows up in web mercator as well then it's probably not a spatial reference issue.

I believe "generalizedForScale" is what "maxAllowableOffset" is called in the browser, and it does seem to be hardcoded at 4000.  I did a search for that property in the API source code and nothing came up aside from where it's set, which makes me think it's not yet supported in 4.XX.

I also tried setting the property to see if it changed anything but didn't notice any differences.  It might be worth playing with though.

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

What scale are you zoomed into?  Is you service hosted on AGOL?

0 Kudos