Select to view content in your preferred language

Web Application for all devices

12-18-2012 10:48 PM
shafitrumboo
Occasional Contributor
We have some business requirements to build application that will run on PC, Mobile, Desktop.

Application is about showing data and updating from 4 tables and with 4-5 different interface.

1- Develop one application in HTML5/JS and REST services at back end. This application will work on all end devices

2. Develop application in there native environment like for Android develop it in Android and for Apple develop it in IOS and for PC's Go for HTML5+JS

What do you think is better approach.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
We have some business requirements to build application that will run on PC, Mobile, Desktop.

Application is about showing data and updating from 4 tables and with 4-5 different interface.

1- Develop one application in HTML5/JS and REST services at back end. This application will work on all end devices

2. Develop application in there native environment like for Android develop it in Android and for Apple develop it in IOS and for PC's Go for HTML5+JS

I definitely feel option 1 is better although many will disagree.  Be careful, if you need to support IE7 you can't use HTML5.
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Honored Contributor
Depends on what, specifically, you want from HTML5 but HTML5 for pre-IE9 browsers is still possible using some javascript libraries such as Modernizr and HTML5shivs.

I'm using an HTML 5 template for a map I'm developing and so far, the only thing I can't get is rounded corners on element borders; I'll take that. (I'm using Modernizr and some of these other javascript "plug-in" libraries)

Some more info about this issue in general in this article.
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Honored Contributor
I agree, there are only a few things that you have to watch out for.  Our default browser is IE 8 and we still have users at IE 7.  I was able to use the dojox mobile components and make it work on both mobile and browsers.  Of course it's styled for mobile, but technically it does work on multiple devices.
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Honored Contributor
Slightly off topic  but shoot- if anything, supporting IE-7 is easier than IE-8. At least IE-7 supports dojo charts better. Trying to implement dojo charts under IE-8 has been a nightmare for me and I finally gave up and went with the depreciated Google Image chart API. I know it can work but every attempt of mine to come up with a solution came up short.

The demise of pre-9 IE browsers can't come soon enough!
0 Kudos
shafitrumboo
Occasional Contributor
Thanks All,

Let us assume we have to create it for greater that IE7
0 Kudos
ChrisMahlke
Deactivated User
The following image and text below are some more things to consider when choosing a development strategy (Web vs. Hybrid vs Native)[ATTACH=CONFIG]20173[/ATTACH]

The Web model approach is ideal if you are trying to reach the largest audience and not isolate a subset of your user base.  The web model is also optimal if development and maintenance costs are paramount.  Web development skills are more common
than native development skill sets.  Many organizations already possess in-house developers with experience in web application
development.  The web model development approach also permits your development team to be more agile in addressing and fixing problems.  Updates to the mobile application can be made easily over the web as opposed to having to release an update through the app store.

However, apps developed using the web model cannot access the device�??s hardware and software, such as the address book or
camera.  Creating a hybrid application can circumvent this disadvantage.

The Hybrid model is another approach to consider.  A hybrid approach is recommended if your application requires access to native functionality such as the device�??s address book, or file system and it is essential for your application to target multiple
platforms in addition to long-term maintenance and feature enhancements.

The Native model excels in performance and low-level device hardware access, however, a critical disadvantage of native development is portability.  Code written for one mobile operating system cannot be reused for another mobile operating.  Your team would need to learn multiple programming languages, software development kits (Esri offers the IOS, Android, and Windows SDK)
and manage several codebases.  This makes development and maintenance potentially costly and time consuming.

Although, if the user interface requirements are strict and the native functionality essential the native model may be the best approach for your organization.

Each of the APIs ultimately offer the same or similar core functionality, such as accessing Web Maps and ArcGIS Online, various tasks (i.e. querying, identifying, locator), layers, graphics and geometry.  The ArcGIS API for JavaScript can be used for the web and hybrid model.  The ArcGIS Runtime SDKs are used for the native model.

I'm in the process of publishing a more detailed blog post about this topic soon.  You will be able to find it on ESRI's main blog page.

--------------------------------------------
Product Engineer
ArcGIS API for JavaScript
https://twitter.com/ChrisMahlke
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The following image and text below are some more things to consider when choosing a development strategy (Web vs. Hybrid vs Native)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20175[/ATTACH]

The Web model approach is ideal if you are trying to reach the largest audience and not isolate a subset of your user base. The web model is also optimal if development and maintenance costs are paramount. Web development skills are more common
than native development skill sets. Many organizations already possess in-house developers with experience in web application
development. The web model development approach also permits your development team to be more agile in addressing and fixing problems. Updates to the mobile application can be made easily over the web as opposed to having to release an update through the app store.

However, apps developed using the web model cannot access the device�??s hardware and software, such as the address book or
camera. Creating a hybrid application can circumvent this disadvantage.

The Hybrid model is another approach to consider. A hybrid approach is recommended if your application requires access to native functionality such as the device�??s address book, or file system and it is essential for your application to target multiple

The Native model excels in performance and low-level device hardware access, however, a critical disadvantage of native development is portability. Code written for one mobile operating system cannot be reused for another mobile operating. Your team would need to learn multiple programming languages, software development kits (Esri offers the IOS, Android, and Windows SDK)
and manage several codebases. This makes development and maintenance potentially costly and time consuming.

Although, if the user interface requirements are strict and the native functionality essential the native model may be the best approach for your organization.

Each of the APIs ultimately offer the same or similar core functionality, such as accessing Web Maps and ArcGIS Online, various tasks (i.e. querying, identifying, locator), layers, graphics and geometry. The ArcGIS API for JavaScript can be used for the web and hybrid model. The ArcGIS Runtime SDKs are used for the native model.

A more detailed blog post about this topic soon on ESRI's main blog page.

Product Engineer
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The following image and text below are some more things to consider when choosing a development strategy (Web vs. Hybrid vs Native)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20176[/ATTACH]

The Web model approach is ideal if you are trying to reach the largest audience and not isolate a subset of your user base. The web model is also optimal if development and maintenance costs are paramount. Web development skills are more common
than native development skill sets. Many organizations already possess in-house developers with experience in web application
development. The web model development approach also permits your development team to be more agile in addressing and fixing problems. Updates to the mobile application can be made easily over the web as opposed to having to release an update through the app store.

camera. Creating a hybrid application can circumvent this disadvantage.

The Hybrid model is another approach to consider. A hybrid approach is recommended if your application requires access to native functionality such as the device�??s address book, or file system and it is essential for your application to target multiple

The Native model excels in performance and low-level device hardware access, however, a critical disadvantage of native development is portability. Code written for one mobile operating system cannot be reused for another mobile operating. Your team would need to learn multiple programming languages, software development kits (Esri offers the IOS, Android, and Windows SDK)
and manage several codebases. This makes development and maintenance potentially costly and time consuming.

Each of the APIs ultimately offer the same or similar core functionality, such as accessing Web Maps and ArcGIS Online, various tasks (i.e. querying, identifying, locator), layers, graphics and geometry. The ArcGIS API for JavaScript can be used for the web and hybrid model. The ArcGIS Runtime SDKs are used for the native model.

A more detailed blog post about this topic soon on ESRI's main blog page.

Product Engineer
0 Kudos
shafitrumboo
Occasional Contributor
Dear Chris,

Thanks for the vivid answers
0 Kudos