Select to view content in your preferred language

still confused as to getting started

06-17-2015 10:56 AM
MichaelDorin
New Contributor

I am writing a java script application where I will need to:

1) display maps.  (I can do this)

2) add markers.  (I can do this)

3) add markers with text. (i can do this)

4) geocode.  ( can't do this)

5) reverse geocode.

6) routing

My application is a web based app written in html5/javascript.

I have registered the application..but am confused about authentication.

I assume I can't do geocoding until I have the authentication done.

I really don't want users to have to login each time, but weeding through the documentation, I don't have a clear picture of what really needs to be done.

Can anybody point me in the right direction and perhaps an example or two?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisSergent
Deactivated User

Have you considered using the geocoder widget?: Geocoder widget | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

This link provides you with step by step instructions to set the Geocoder widget up.

You shouldn't need login information for this unless you have secured the service.

If you run into more issues in the future, your best place to post your question is in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript group to reach a wider audience which is here: ArcGIS API for JavaScript

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

If you aren't looking for on-the-fly geocoding within your map, for display on said map, have a look at:

geocodeAddresses—ArcGIS REST API: World Geocoding Service | ArcGIS for Developers

This is Esri's geocoding service that you can call and receive a JSON response, so you can obtain the lat/long results directly and use for storage... in a db, for example. This is a paid service, however.

Free vs. paid operations—ArcGIS REST API: World Geocoding Service | ArcGIS for Developers

0 Kudos