Specifying Different Map Scale with PrintTool

02-05-2013 05:39 AM
JonathanKressin
New Contributor III
Our old WebADF application allowed the users to specify a custom map scale when exporting maps to PDF.  As far as I can tell, there is no way reproduce this behavior with the PrintTask.  Unfortunately, I am receiving a lot of testing feedback that there are users are dependent on setting that print scale.  Does anyone know any workarounds to force the printing to happen at a scale different than the current view scale?

Thanks!

Jonathan
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanKressin
New Contributor III
Ok,  I've been trying to work around this problem. 

One possible solution I have come up with is to create a new map object, add all layers that are present on the display map, change the scale on this print map object, then send that to the PrintTask.

This looks possible, unfortunately it seems that adding the same layer to a new map object breaks it in the original map object.  I can probably get around this by recreating each of the Image and Dynamic services and adding those to the new map instead of reusing the layers being consumed by the view map.  The graphic layers will be trickier, as I would have to iterate thru each feature on the original layer and recreate that graphic on the new graphic layer.

Has anyone else done something like this?  It seems possible, but that print task is going to take quite a bit more time to run having to recreate everything when run. 

Thanks!
Jonathan
0 Kudos
RyanSellman
Occasional Contributor II

Jonathan,

I realize you posted this over a year ago, but I thought I would still ask.  I am currently faced with a similar issue right now.  In one of my apps, I need to give users the ability to specify the scale when printing.  Did you ever come up with a solution for this?

Let me know if you get a chance.  Thanks!

0 Kudos