Select to view content in your preferred language

route event changes show only with service restart

09-19-2013 07:44 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jrutkowski

I have a feature layer which is a route event. When the table is updated with the TO and FROM values and so on, the new route will not show in the map until I restart the service.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
0 Kudos
18 Replies
bbieb
by
Occasional Contributor

i would assume that the 10.1 article (in tandem with the information provided by Jake) would result in desirable behavior in 10.2 as well, because the root architecture is the same as 10.1.

The reason why I was originally questioning whether this was correct for 10.2 or not, is that the there are registry keys under a 10.2 folder (HKLM)....so does the 10.2 software look at the 10.1 folder for the dynseg key or should the key actually be under the Server10.2 path for a 10.2 install?
brian
brian
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jgravois

i'm fairly sure that the 10.2 install doesn't know anything about the 10.1 registry folder.
0 Kudos
JoeRutkowski
Occasional Contributor

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\esri\Server10.1\DynSeg

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\Server10.1\DynSeg\UseOptimization

These do not show up in my registry? Under HKEY_USERS, "esri" isn't an option, and in HKEY_CURRENT_USERS, "Server10.1" isn't an option. I know that it is installed on the machine, I am using it (and it shows up in the HKEY_LOCATION_MACHINE tree). We are using Windows 2008 R2 Standard, for whatever that's worth... Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jgravois

*removed post* (incorrect information)
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
These do not show up in my registry? Under HKEY_USERS, "esri" isn't an option, and in HKEY_CURRENT_USERS, "Server10.1" isn't an option. I know that it is installed on the machine, I am using it (and it shows up in the HKEY_LOCATION_MACHINE tree). We are using Windows 2008 R2 Standard, for whatever that's worth... Any thoughts?

Make sure you are logged on as the arcgis server account user.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jrutkowski

Here is the information for ArcGIS Server 10.1.  I've been trying to get Esri to update the article for 10.2 but so far no luck.

http://support.esri.com/cn/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/25846

Does this get run on my local machine where I built the MXD? I assume it isn't run on the server (we don't have ArcMap on the server). If my assumption is correct, would I then need to rebuild the MXD and republish the service for the non-caching to "stick"?
0 Kudos
bbieb
by
Occasional Contributor
Does this get run on my local machine where I built the MXD? I assume it isn't run on the server (we don't have ArcMap on the server). If my assumption is correct, would I then need to rebuild the MXD and republish the service for the non-caching to "stick"?

Hate to muddy the water even more but below is the registry key that we added to our 10.1 servers (not on local machine). I do realize this is different than what Jake said (and odd that it has ArcMap in the path) but I did get this from Esri (Tom Brenneman) and also tested it to make sure that it worked.

On the server....
Copy and paste the 3 lines below into a text file, rename the extension of the file to .reg., then double click to install
Restart the service

If you want to me to forward the email from Tom, send me a private message and I will forward.
brian

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\Server10.1\ArcMap\DynSeg]
"UseOptimization"=dword:00000000
brian
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Cont_richard

Esri KB article 25846, "HowTo: Cache and Route Event Tables", has been updated to include .reg files for ArcGIS 10.2:
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/25846
0 Kudos
bbieb
by
Occasional Contributor
Summary of what we've learned using event tables.

Disable Caching in ArcMap - http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/25846
Disable Caching in ArcGIS Server 10 and before - http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/34350
Disable Caching in ArcGIS Server 10.1

• Copy and paste the 3 lines below into a text file, rename the extension of the file to .reg., then double click to install

• Restart the service

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\Server10.1\ArcMap\DynSeg]
"UseOptimization"=dword:00000000

Disable Caching in ArcGIS Server 10.2 - from my testing, route event caching is disabled at 10.2.  I am trying to get Esri to verify this but I've run into road blocks at every turn.  There response is that 10.1/2 is a black box and I would need to pay Professional Services to find workarounds.

Below are the results from my testing of 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.  At 10.0 and prior, we used OLE connections for our linear event layers (which didn't seem to have the caching problems).  At 10.1 OLE connections were removed so we needed another approach to make our environment viable.

• All connections are direct connects

• SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1

• ArcSDE 10.0

• In a SDE enabled database

• Create 2 non-sde tables (Table A and Table B)

• Table A

•   Register with a user controlled ID

•   Create/Register View A with SDE using Table A

• Table B

• Leave unregistered

• Create Unregistered View B using Table B

• Non SDE database

• Create Table C and View C

• Add all tables/views to ArcMap.

• Create event layer event layers.

• Modify measure field or queried attribute (active versus inactive) in Table A, Table B and Table C then pan map

• Please Note: When looking at the measure attribute of the tables that didn�??t visually change, the measure in the attribute DID show the changed value.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 100%"]ArcMap 10.2
ArcGIS Server 10.2
Change measure field in database
Change measure field in databaseTable A Layer �?? SDE registeredDoes NOT reflect changeReflects changeView A Layer �?? SDE RegisteredDoes NOT reflect changeReflects changeTable B Layer - SDE enabled databaseReflects changeReflects changeView B Layer - SDE enabled databaseReflects changeReflects changeTable C Layer - non-SDE enabled database
Does NOT reflect changeReflects changeView C Layer - non-SDE enabled database
Does NOT reflect changeReflects change
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 100%"]ArcMap 10.1
ArcGIS Server 10.1
Table A Layer �?? SDE registered
Does NOT reflect change
Does NOT reflect change
View A Layer �?? SDE Registered
Does NOT reflect change