Select to view content in your preferred language

PopupTemplate.content with method in 4.0

Jump to solution
05-11-2016 11:52 AM
AndreaWeeg
New Contributor

with 3.x I used to be able to call a method whenever the info template was shown like infoTemplate.setcontent(mymethod); I dont see a way to do this in 4.0, or even a way to set the content when the pop up is shown. any feedback is appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

We do  plan to add the ability for you to modify the popup title and content as you were able to do at 3.x using the 'function' concept in a future release of the 4.0 API

View solution in original post

11 Replies
KellyHutchins

This sample shows how to set the content when showing a popup:

Dock Positions with Popup | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.0

AndreaWeeg
New Contributor

yeah that shows how to set the content using the property with plain text but i want to pass a method to that content parameter so it gets called when the pop up is shown, info template used to support that.

0 Kudos
thejuskambi
Regular Contributor

I am not sure if there a plan to implement that in future. In 4.0 there is no option to set the content through function. Instead they have provided many features in the PopupTemplate through which you can customize the popup content. Format the field vaules. add own actions etc. Its more generic popup now.

If you could let us know what is that specfic functionality you want to achieve through the function, we could let you know the alternative ways to do it.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

If this is true, I'm a sad panda. I use formatting functions for all my infoWindows. For the most part, I use these functions to format the content into HTML table formats so that field names (or more user friendly substitute names) align consistently with each other and field values. I also manipulate the results returned to create additional content for the infoWindows. Here's an example where I create a graph using the Highcharts JS library:

fws_map.png

I couldn't replicate when I needed using the Dojo Chart widgets so I had to switch to using Highcharts. Here's another example from a different application:

chartPopupEx.jpg

In this example, I'm creating a formatted HTML table on the left hand side and creating a pie chart using Google's charting API on the right.

Steve

thejuskambi
Regular Contributor

You may not be able to do these things using PopupTemplate. But you can do it using the Popup widget. Popup widget is like a control which you can show when ever you want.

You could use the layer click event get the feature, build the content you want and then show it with Popup widget.

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

At this point, there are so many holes in the 4.0 release that I'm unlikely to migrate any apps to it for the foreseeable future. When I originally started developing with the JS API, I used the method you described (setting content via layer.onClick event). I stopped doing this for some reason and now I'm worried that there was some reason I did which now proves to be an issue in a 4.x world moving forward. Oh well.

ESRI giveth and ESRI taketh away.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

We do  plan to add the ability for you to modify the popup title and content as you were able to do at 3.x using the 'function' concept in a future release of the 4.0 API

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Great to hear, thank you.

0 Kudos
AndreaWeeg
New Contributor

that is great to hear indeed! I am loading crime data into the map from SQL as graphics but since there are so many points retrieving the entire content of the data is just too slow so I am lazy loading the content, I only grab what I need to draw it on the map but if the user wants to see the details of a crime that's when I fetch the rest of the data, that's where I need the method call. I also use it to do some other stats calculations for polygon layers like law beats, neighborhoods, fire districts etc. I need the method call to inject a "crime" attribute to the features so I can show charts with stats per polygon which get calculated on the fly depending on what is being shown on the map.

0 Kudos