Select to view content in your preferred language

Perform operations on Geometries (Polygons)

Jump to solution
11-06-2012 07:57 AM
MoizBhukhiya
Occasional Contributor
I am looking for something (in the browser) that will perform the following geometric operations:

- Union
- Intersection and
- Difference

of two given polygons.

Please suggest!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnGravois
Deactivated User
here is a link to the API reference for geometry utilities that do not rely on a geometry service.

i don't have any relevant experience with using geometry services hosted by PostGIS, but i would assume that you might have a hard time using Esri JavaScript API method calls if you aren't using a geometry service hosted by ArcGIS Server.   that being said, tasks.arcgisonline.com includes a geometry service that i believe is allowed to be referenced in production applications.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnGravois
Deactivated User
(in the browser)

what exactly do you mean by this?  are you saying the work needs to be done entirely clientside?

if not, have you already seen the documentation related to the REST geometry service (which includes a union, intersect and difference operation)?

our JavaScript API simplifies making calls to run these operations from a client web application, but you still have to make asynchronous calls to ArcGIS Server
0 Kudos
MoizBhukhiya
Occasional Contributor
Thank you jgravois for your response. I really appreciate it!!

what exactly do you mean by this?  are you saying the work needs to be done entirely clientside?

Yes, if geometry utils include methods to perform such operations.

if not, have you already seen the documentation related to the REST geometry service (which includes a union, intersect and difference operation)?

our JavaScript API simplifies making calls to run these operations from a client web application, but you still have to make asynchronous calls to ArcGIS Server

Yes, I already have service setup using postGIS to perform geometric operations.
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Deactivated User
here is a link to the API reference for geometry utilities that do not rely on a geometry service.

i don't have any relevant experience with using geometry services hosted by PostGIS, but i would assume that you might have a hard time using Esri JavaScript API method calls if you aren't using a geometry service hosted by ArcGIS Server.   that being said, tasks.arcgisonline.com includes a geometry service that i believe is allowed to be referenced in production applications.
0 Kudos
MoizBhukhiya
Occasional Contributor

Yes you're right. I had to make some changes to achieve that. The only reason I took that approach is because I saw this:
This is a sample service hosted by ESRI, powered by ArcGIS Server. ESRI has provided this example so that you may practice using ArcGIS APIs for JavaScript, Flex, and Silverlight. ESRI reserves the right to change or remove this service at any time and without notice.
@ http://sampleserver1.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Geometry/GeometryServer

But ofcourse that was a sample server and the link you attached does not indicate that.

Thanks alot for your help. I really appreciate it!!
0 Kudos