Select to view content in your preferred language

Pegman control not working on google map layer

11-20-2018 02:20 AM
vikashkumar1
New Contributor

HI,

I have been using google map as a layer on top of ESRI basemap in my application since 2 years.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a8f78cc6adea48cb8e962d7e36b9d010

Till recently, Pegman control  used to work fine but suddenly it stopped working. I am not able to find any clue regarding this.

Any  help regarding this will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Vikash,

Google has never allowed the use of its tiles to be part of an esri basemap. You will notice the author of that AGOL item is NOT esri. Use of Google map as a basemap is a violation of Googles TOS (Term of Service). So though you have been doing it for the last two years you have been violating their TOS.

0 Kudos
vikashkumar1
New Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

FYI: I have purchased proper license to use google map API, so i think i should not be violating any  TOS.

Also, i am not using google as basemap, instead i am using it as a map layer on top of ESRI basemap. 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

10.1 Administrative Restrictions.

1. No access to APIs or Content except through the Service. You will not access the Maps API(s) or the Content except through the Service. For example, you must not access map tiles or imagery through interfaces or channels (including undocumented Google interfaces) other than the Maps API(s).

10.4 Restrictions on Unfair Exploitation of the Service and Content.

d. No use of Content without a Google map. Unless the Maps APIs Documentation expressly permits you to do so, you will not use the Content in a Maps API Implementation without a corresponding Google map. For example, you may display Street View imagery without a corresponding Google map because the Maps APIs Documentation expressly permits this use.

e. No use of Content with a non-Google map. You must not use the Content in a Maps API Implementation that contains a non-Google map.

I have been through this with the Maps API team. having been found to be in violation of their TOS. so I have a great deal of knowledge on this subject.

vikashkumar1
New Contributor

HI Robert,

I would be great-full to you if you could please share the link of above TOS.

0 Kudos
vikashkumar1
New Contributor

HI Robert,

Thanks for the details.

I acknowledge this, and believe that i have been doing thing wrong. I will remove it from my application.

Also, i am still curious to know, what would be reason behind sudden death of street view in my application.

The most recent release made by google was on Nov 13 and since then my streetview stopped working.

Do you have any knowledge regarding this ?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Google has really tightened their api use. If you are not providing an api key in your code you will get no results. Before you did not have to use an api key.

0 Kudos