Offline Capabilities for my Browswer-Based Application?

Jump to solution
11-06-2017 09:38 AM
TheKenerson
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have a browser based application that uses the ESRI JavaScript API to access feature services from my AGOL account and edit them. Because its a browser-based, I can't make data edits when I am offline. Can anyone offer some good pathways I can follow to get my app working in an offline environment? I see that there is Appstudio, which may work, but it appears that is mostly QML, and i would rather not go that route. There is web app builder but i'm not sure if this will allow for offline use. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry for the delay in responding. AppStudio and our Runtime SDKs are excellent choices for building offline mapping solutions. They offer robust offline coding patterns that work across platforms and they are fully supported. Web AppBuilder does not work offline. 

In comparison, browser-based offline mapping solutions have a number of challenges and limitations that make it challenging to build a stable application. Just to mention a few there are storage limitations, offline/online detection is challenging and gracefully handling offline browser restarts takes advanced JavaScript development and debugging skills.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry for the delay in responding. AppStudio and our Runtime SDKs are excellent choices for building offline mapping solutions. They offer robust offline coding patterns that work across platforms and they are fully supported. Web AppBuilder does not work offline. 

In comparison, browser-based offline mapping solutions have a number of challenges and limitations that make it challenging to build a stable application. Just to mention a few there are storage limitations, offline/online detection is challenging and gracefully handling offline browser restarts takes advanced JavaScript development and debugging skills.