Select to view content in your preferred language

Navigating with the iPad

07-23-2010 10:02 AM
ErikAnderson
New Contributor III
At the risk of embarrassing myself, I can't figure out how to navigate a JSAPI map using the iPad.

Normally, the following navigation tools are available from the web browser:

• Drag to pan

• SHIFT + Click to recenter

• SHIFT + Drag to zoom in

• Mouse Scroll to zoom in/out

I can touch the top and bottom of the scale bar to adjust map scaling one click at a time but I can�??t seem to grab the scale bar button and drag it up or down. The browser window shakes when I try to pan using my fingers. And for the life of me, I can�??t figure out how to simulate a shift-drag to zoom in.

I have the same difficulties when using an ADF application as well. I can select features using the point selection tool but I can't create a rectangle to select.

Am I lacking in the arcane art of gesturing or is this truly a drawback to the iPad interface? Would I have better luck using a stylus?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScottMoore__Olympia_
Esri Contributor
Hi Erik,

At version 2.0 of the JS API which was just released, we support the touch event for devices like the iPad/iPod/iPhone.  Take a look at these samples:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jssamples_start.htm#jssamples/mobile_simplem...

There is also a compact build that might be useful as well:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jshelp_start.htm#jshelp/inside_compactbuild....

So, just make sure you are browsing your services with the 2.0 version of the JS API and it should work for you!

Scott
0 Kudos
ErikAnderson
New Contributor III
Thank you Scott. Not only was I able to navigate that app with the iPad, it was also a simple matter of updating the version reference in my own samples to get those working too.

So is it fair (or correct) to state that apps written with v1.x of the JSAPI do not work with iOS and Android? Does this also apply to Web ADF applications?

It's easy enough to update JSAPI pages but Web ADF may be a whole different animal. What's your take? Or should I take this to another forum?

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
ScottMoore__Olympia_
Esri Contributor
This will work with the Javascript API only.  The touch events were added at 2.0 and will not work in previous versions (1.x) of the API.  The Web ADF applications are different and I don't believe have implemented any touch events.
0 Kudos