Migrating from 3.x to 4.x

Jump to solution
03-14-2023 01:18 PM
ChitraKrishnan
New Contributor III

Hi,

Our current application that uses Arcgis javascript API 3.x is built on dojo framework. Now we are planning to migrate to 4.x. Can we just insert the 4.x CDN link and continue with the dojo framework?

Thanks

Chitra

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

No, unfortunately, app migration from 3.x to 4.x will be a more involved process than just updating the CDN path. ESRI has a page in its 4.x documentation that talks about migrating (link here). More than likely, you will have to end up rewriting good portions of your app.

View solution in original post

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also, the CDN no longer contains the Dojo framework packages. 4.x started moving away from them in version 4.14 and got rid of them completely by 4.18.

BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

I think plain, vanilla JavaScript is preferable, unless you have a specific need for functionality provided by a framework (like React, Vue, Angular, etc.).

4 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

No, unfortunately, app migration from 3.x to 4.x will be a more involved process than just updating the CDN path. ESRI has a page in its 4.x documentation that talks about migrating (link here). More than likely, you will have to end up rewriting good portions of your app.

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also, the CDN no longer contains the Dojo framework packages. 4.x started moving away from them in version 4.14 and got rid of them completely by 4.18.

ChitraKrishnan
New Contributor III

Hi Steve, KenBuja,

Thanks for your response. I would like to know what would be the preferred language to rewrite the migration?

Thanks

Chitra

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

I think plain, vanilla JavaScript is preferable, unless you have a specific need for functionality provided by a framework (like React, Vue, Angular, etc.).